SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Removing primary mirror from Skywatcher Dob

Based on a 200P but I think they are the same.

6 philips screws around the base of the tube - remove these with the tube lying horizontally.

Once they are all out, slowly and carefully back the cell assembly (black bit) out of the OTA.

How far do you want to go with this?

Next up you could remove the mirror clip screws (3 lots of 2) and carefully remove the clips without touching the mirror.

Mirror is then free to come out of the cell.

Actually, I'd go with having the scope vertical. Remove all the screw and then lift the tube off. Doing it horizontally means

1. gravity will pull on the remaining screws as you progressively pull them out, making your job harder

2. mean you have to roll the ota (!) to reach all of them

3. when you take the last one out, the cell may fall out, damaging something.

Edited by Odd Dob

Actually, I'd go with having the scope vertical. Remove all the screw and then lift the tube off. Doing it horizontally means

1. gravity will pull on the remaining screws as you progressively pull them out, making your job harder

2. mean you have to roll the ota (!) to reach all of them

3. when you take the last one out, the cell may fall out, damaging something.

Fair points, but I had Bobs Knobs so I couldn't put it vertically :rolleyes:

The cell is really jammed in, I'd be suprised if it could just fall out - I did have a hand behind the mirror though just in case ;)

• Like 1

With the smaller scopes, such as the 8", a duvet on the floor, OTA lying on it and cell removed. Job done.

However, it depends on the size- I've done it horizonatally and vertically (ooh, matron) and the easiest way is vertically with a larger scope - remove those screws one by one and support the mirror with one hand. The OTA doesn't seem to deform as much either but you have to watch the weight of the secondary at the other end...

In both cases, when putting the mirror cell back onto the OTA, you can carefully rotate the cell until the screw holes in the cell match up with the OTA and then Bob's your father's bro. :rolleyes:

Edited by Beulah
  • Like 2

Thanks guys,

A couple of further q's

1) Does removing the 6 screws mean the "cell" will drop out?

2) Is it easy to put back?

3) Am I likely to regret doing this at any point?

I would like to flock the lower tube of my flextube but would rather have a functioning dob without flocking rather than do anything harmful to the primary!

Thanks

Simon

I would suggest marking the cell and tube with bits of tape, so that you can put back the screws exactly in the holes they came out from. It might not be needed, but over the years I have always marked things so it stops problems occurring that weren't there to start with.

• Like 1

I would suggest marking the cell and tube with bits of tape, so that you can put back the screws exactly in the holes they came out from. It might not be needed, but over the years I have always marked things so it stops problems occurring that weren't there to start with.

If memory serves, the cell only goes back in one way as it has a notch in it to fit the seam in the OTA

• 4 months later...

With screws removed, grab hold of the black base of the mirror unit and see whether you can twist it, one way then the other. You'll find that may loosen it before you can carefully pull the mirror unit from the tube.

Easier to do this on the floor with the tube lying on a duvet or rug - get somebody to hold the secondary mirror end of the tube.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I removed and cleaned my 200mm mirror last night after it had been stored in the loft for a few years, even though the scope was stored with all the caps and covers on the mirror was filthy. I used some cheap unscented kitchen roll and reverse osmosis, de-ionised water.

I used unscented kitchen roll to ensure no chemicals were left behind on the mirror and the RO/DI water (essentially empty water) dries without leaving any streaks or marks. You can buy this from any fish shop that sells live marine fish. (Not the local chippy)

Ps, I am no expert and have never done it before but was very pleased with the results.

taking mirrors out of scopes is a learning curve the more you do it the easier it gets, take your time be well prepped and everything will go smoothly and dont hesitate. id go with lifting the tube off verticaly. im about to clean my 16" mirror this week ready for galaxy season :D ave fun!!!  

• Like 1

• 6 years later...
On 12/10/2011 at 20:52, Beulah said:

1) Does removing the 6 screws mean the "cell" will drop out?

Yes

Apologies for necroposting but the above information is definitely not the case for my 200P. The mirror holder will not drop out rather, it has to be very gently levered off the OTA using a thin blade/screwdriver. The holder is heavy and stops the OTA flexing so it’s not surprising it is a tight fit.

I would also recommend not removing the locking bolts as advised above as the unsupported mirror can fall into the tube.