sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Is This Tripod A Good One??

I recently purchased a pair of 10x50 Opticron binoculars from FLO and could still do with a tripod for them. Would the Horizon 8115 from FLO be a good purchase? I know it's a heavy duty one but I may buy some bigger, heavier bins in the future to compliment the small ones.

Thanks.

How tall are you? The horizon tops out at 180cm which is fine if you are of avereage height. If like me you are on the lanky side - I'm 6'4" then you may find it a bit short fro viewing near the zenith. I went for the Camlink TRPRO32B Tripod which is 200cm at max extension and this is spot on for me. The Camlink is a quality piece of kit that I would not hesitate to recommend.

How tall are you? The horizon tops out at 180cm which is fine if you are of avereage height. If like me you are on the lanky side - I'm 6'4" then you may find it a bit short fro viewing near the zenith. I went for the Camlink TRPRO32B Tripod which is 200cm at max extension and this is spot on for me. The Camlink is a quality piece of kit that I would not hesitate to recommend.

Yes, I have that tripod too and would second that. I think you really would have to be a giant if the Camlink's extension wasn't enough. They are reasonably priced too. Got mine from a local photo shop in Preston last year. Can't remember the exact price but it was certainly no more than £90.

If height is an issue then clearly the Camlink tripod is the one to get. On many of these similar threads the focus seems to centre on the stability of the tripod which is fine but not a lot of attention appears to be directed towards the head itself. Many of the pan & tilt types maybe of sufficient quality but all to often the tilt is restricted to around 60 degrees - thats a lot of sky which offers the clearest viewing going unobserved. I have included here a useful website that looks at what is available to help get the maximum out of using your binos.

James

Horizon 8115 goes to a very high height, also it can take about 4.5 to 5kg loading.

It is a good solid tripod. They can hold 25x100's easy.

You may wish to order spare shoes, to save you swapping them on equipment :rolleyes:

Shoes cost about 5 GBP.

Edited by Starbabe