Banner.jpg.39bf5bb2e6bf87794d3e2a4b88f26f1b.jpg

How Often do you Observe?

Klesk14

Just a little question to everyone, how often does everyone get to observe the night sky?

I've only had my C11" EdgeHD for a few months now and have had a small number of obverving sessions. I do work late evening into the early morning hours so I can only observe 2 nights a week if it isn't cloudy. Also being on this schedule allows me to stay up later during my observing sessions without being tired.

I was hoping to get out tonight, the last 5 nights have been clear skies while I've been at work however my first night off it had gotten cloudy :rolleyes:

How often do you Observe?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fri/Sat/Sun nights are the only available times for me, weather permitting. So far it hasn't permitted for months other than the odd session here and there. Apart from Kelling I don't think I've been out at night more than half a dozen times over summer. :rolleyes:

I reckon the dob will get between 10-20 outings per year. My other kit is still work in progress at the moment!

The bins get much more of workout, and eyeball mk1 gets used as often as it can.

As always we are at the mercy of weather goddess :rolleyes:

I get out to observe maybe once a month due to the cloud. We had a full week of clear skies not so long back and it almost killed me. I felt I had to stay out all night to make the best of the clear spell as they are so few and far between. For several days I did this despite having to get up early the next day to be run ragged looking after our 2 year old son. It was worth it though to see M42 again :rolleyes:

Hi Klesk14,

Main scope 10" Lx has seen little use for some months, Have st120 which is great for a quick break in the clouds. However the goto function allows you to skip about like a kid in sweet shop when dodging the clouds.

Cheers

since my return from a family holiday on 27th August I have been out for two sessions of any length due to poor conditions. I have put the small scope out several times since only to bring it back in after clouds rolled in.

if it were clear every night I'd probably observe twice a week or once if an all / late nighter.

This past 12 months have been abysmal weather wise, seems like constant cloud... I try and get out whenever i can, silly shift patterns certainly dont help! I think ive been out observing probably 5 or 6 times in the past 12 months, lets hope this winter is clearer

not as much as I'd like to! as we all know, the weather has been such a pain this year. I did take advantage of the hot week we had and enjoyed some long spells in the warmth.

Was a nice feeling to be observing the "winter skies" in such temperatures ;)

Ideally it would be great to get out at least 3/4 times week. Maybe soon we will get another clear spell that will suffice, at least the clocks change in a week or so which should help us all. :rolleyes:

People starting out now are really lucky. I started in the summer an only had 2 decent nights a month if i was lucky! I am findin y first winter to have many more crisp clear nights. XD

I observe whenever its clear, sounds great. But in UK that seems to mean on averge twice to 3 times a month is im lucky xD

Was going to add...

I try to get out every possible clear night, but I work for myself and the boss is fairly forgiving of late starts, even if he is a cheapskate slave-driver the rest of the time.

Unfortunately, given the weather that's actually meant very few times since April.

James