Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dartmoor Astronomers

Antx

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

What cr*p weather and so miserably chilly; add to this the daily grind and for me it adds up to very few opportunities out with my 'scopes. How about you lot in this area?

Tim

Yep its been rubbish Tim

When we have a couple of nice evenings like we have my car has developed a brake defect meaning I can't take the scopes to a dark spot. I swear things are conspiring against me. If its not the weather it's something else :mad:

Same here Timbo, up here, in the last few days a lot of clear days seem to have clouded over as soon at it got dark - grrrr.

I get all excited, plan what to look for, get equipment ready then clouds appear. At least if I know it's going to be cloudy I don't get my hopes up.

• 4 weeks later...

hello, Kai, Prador and Eastridge,

So we have a Bright Giant in our locale!

I've learned not to get too excited. However my brov-in-law phoned last night to say he was looking at Saturn; that was all the encouragement I needed. (He is off to Greece as I type and was chatting to me this morn about taking his 70mm travelscope on the plane!) So I set up the Skymax and was viewing 'til 11.45pm. Just looked at Saturn which was my firsttime this year.

Thought about training the 'scope on the Dockyard afterwards but went to bed instead.

I've just packed up the 'scope now.

Tim

Hi Tim,

I managed to get a decent look at Saturn the other night as well. Always great to see it for the first time each year. We are low with high houses around so it's just becoming viewable at a civilised hour.

Over the last month I've managed to get more fuzzies, hard work to find manually to start with but now I have seen a few I know what I am looking for so hopefully will get easier. Last one M3, was my first Globular Cluster.

• 2 months later...

Hello. Just brought a SH Nexstar 5se from someone near Tavistock. Looking forward to using it when the skys are clearer. Came with extras such as power tank and eyepiece set. Don't know why I can not carriage return on this edit??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Just found this thread. I've been to the aerodrome near Yelverton a few times. There are a series of bays with high banks around them that shelter light. It's also easy to get to.

It'd be great to meet up. Plymouth AS has tried Clearbrook a few times but it often seems an effort to get people out there. I check the forum everyday so if there's a clear night (ever again) drop a line in here and we can sort something.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Ever since I moved down to this part of the world I have been keen to get the scope out on dartmoor. If anything were to be arranged, I'd be chuffed to join in. Not as if these things can be planned much in advance tho, not with the jet stream conspiring against us 24/7.

Ha I live in Plymouth and have spent many nights on Dartmoor fishing and looking at the sky :) I bought my first telescope this week and am itching to get up on the moor and have a test run.  As a result of me buying my scope it has been cloudy every night so to all local gazers I am awfully sorry, if it keeps up I will take it back which will be the trigger for clear skies for the rest of you :)

On another note it's damn cold up there - a webcam is also on my list so I can view from the van :)

National Astronomy Week event at Plymouth Museum on Saturday 1st. 1030 until 1500 hours. Multiple talks. One by me. There will also be a Stargazing evening at Jennycliff on a week night between 3rd and 7th of March. Check Plymouth Astronomy Society website and Facebook page.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I'm heading off to Minehead for my hols (butlins) I'm going to take a trip out to the moors one evening. I'm using Google earth to try and find a decent place to park and set up. If anyone could recommend a road or area I would be most grateful.

• 1 month later...

Dear All,

It's been a terrible if not typical few months for viewing, Things may be looking up - pun intended! - does anyone fancy a meet up to get aquainted and fumble around in the dark with our kit up on the moors or elsewhwere!? We may just all learn something new and have some skills and tips to share.

Tim

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived