Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dartmoor Astronomers

Antx

Hi there

I am wondering how many astronomers are in the Dartmoor area

I have a couple of friends/collegues that I hang with. We are looking for a group to meet up with especially as the awesome skies come in.

We are newbies that are keen as mustard and really appreciate the amazing dark skies that we are lucky to have here

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NGC 1502... the links are quite amusing especially for that well known Devon-based society, Norwich Astro Soc.

Seriously, though, I'm also interested in the dark skies that Dartmoor, and indeed the other dark corners of Devon have to offer. Being based in Exeter there are a number of astro societies within spitting distance, e.g. Torbay Astro, Norman Lockyer (sidmouth), Tiverton AS.

As I'm relatively new to the area I don't know of anyone observing atop Dartmoor. Where on Dartmoor do you guys go? Don't you get harrassed by the ponies?

Martin

Thanks for the heads up

We are all south dartmoor. I live in national park itself, my garden faces east across the moor and is a great for astronomy (milky way is clearly visible) we also go further into the interior for some super black viewing.

We are very lucky with our location, it would be cool to get the guns out with some others down here

:headbang:Thanks for the heads up

We are all south dartmoor. I live in national park itself, my garden faces east across the moor and is a great for astronomy (milky way is clearly visible) we also go further into the interior for some super black viewing.

We are very lucky with our location, it would be cool to get the guns out with some others down here

:rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

Hi

I am based in Plymouth and i am also looking for the best dark sky areas on Dartmoor.

I sometimes go to Clearbrook - between Plymouth and Yelverton and the skies there are quite good but you still get some pollution from street lamps in the village.

Does anyone know of a better site around the area?

I would also be happy to meet up with a group. Please contact me if you are interested

in forming a star party!

Mark Bowles

It's been many many years since I did this, but when I used to live in Plymouth, I used the area around Burrator before. On the road approaching Burrator reservoir there's a few wide car parks. Not that far from Clearbrook anyway. Even there the light pollution from Plymouth is noticeable if you're looking in that direction, so I have wondered if it's worth going deeper into Dartmoor. But I'm not really familiar with other areas.

I don't live in the area, but have stayed in Ashburton a few times. Just driving up onto the moor and almost randomly picking a car park was enough to give amazing views.

I've just checked my dark sky app, and there seems to be an area of Bortle 2 skies(ie very good) running from Holsworthy South West down towards Crowdy Reservoir where someone has indicated a good dark sky site. Don't know if this helps at all? A copy of the Phillips Dark Sky Map might be worth looking at.

Stu

Hi,

Are you aware that there is a specific 'Devon and Cornwall' area under the Social Groups?? It's a bit hidden away since they revamped the site design / layout but there are threads in there that might be of interest- like view places etc.

I did try Dartmoor once last winter at a spot near Bellever and it was good although very cold!

There must be loads of sites around the Moors but it takes too long to get there for me when I'd have to cross the ferry or bridge so I prefer North Cornwall where its darker and easier to get to.

Your on the right track though Mark, keep using Google Earth and the light pollution maps and you'll soon find those dark skies. :)

Its raining again, it looks like it will be raining upto Christmas eve then dry for Christmas day and Boxing day.

Floods are everywhere in the South West!

Fingers crossed for clear skies at night...

Yes a meet up would be good, perhaps in the new year.

Its raining again, it looks like it will be raining upto Christmas eve then dry for Christmas day and Boxing day.

Floods are everywhere in the South West!

Fingers crossed for clear skies at night...

Yes a meet up would be good, perhaps in the new year.

will keep an eye out for any info on a meet up

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Long time no visit SGL, work in Plymouth and live in N Devon near Bradworthy. Have tried taking a portable grab n go on Dartmoor a few times but find that the higher up you go on the south side the more exposed to LP from Guzz you are. Obviously the further north on the moor you go the more your southern horizon may be obscured. The east side is riven with valleys like the Teign. Bodmin Moor can offer some good dark sky sites, but more of a journey from Plymouth. Has anyone tried the coast west of Plymouth down near Tregantle Fort? Could be good round there. During the week I pop up on the Moor at times but usually just for some bino viewing. Where I live around EX22 has some amazing dark skies, not a conscious decision when I moved there, but serendipitous.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

I was up on South Moors this morning, I live in Plymouth and am always searching for a new spot to view! I have just got my gear out after many months packed away.

Meeting a group could be interesting too.

I'll check the social group site also.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived