Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Size Matters!

Damo636

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well my time now:

The new 35mm Panoptic paired off with my smallest EP's the Nagler Zoom and the new (to me) 9mm Ortho

I see the big guy has arrived safely Mark. :D

The Budweiser barlow's are excellent and i use them a LOT !

That would be the Czech Budweiser (from Budvar), I trust :D

Mmm very nice as well, a bit harder to get hold of in the UK though....

What was a surprise was that the Baader Hyperion 36mm with its 72 degress FOV actually weighs considerably less than the TV 36mm Panoptic with its 68 degree FOV.

But then again the Baader edge performance is not great on my f/6 scope.

Curious, I looked through a Hyperion 36 in the 16" RC at our university, and spotted no such effect. At F/8 it is perhaps more tolerant, but even your F/6.3 scope should not be too severe on the EP. I remember rating my Paragon 40 higher than the Hyperion 36. I wondered if it was my personal bias, but your comments combined with my experience with the Paragon in the 80 mm F/6 I have, in which it performs very well indeed, suggest the Paragon is better.

Hi Tom. If you can get one you will not regret it. The Nirvana is better value and identical. A relative brought me the UWAN back from the states recently for a lot less than even the Nirvana costs over here in rip off Britain :) Its a stunning ep and i cannot ever see me parting with it.

Yes we do tend to get stung living here, at the current exchange rate the UWAN is a smidge over £210 in the states but I suppose that the shipping and import duty that inevitably get added on would make it not worth my while.

Please let me know how you get on with it in your 200p dob, same 'scope as the one I am using, as I would be interested to know how well it performs :)

For some reasion some items seem to get tagged by the customs and others not. I managed to get flocking material from the States recently and it slipped through unnoticed. I have a barlow incoming at the minute so keeping the fingers crossed for the same result. As for the UWAN's performace with the dob, its superb Tom. I had a 35mm Panoptic as well as the UWAN in my possession until lately. I compared them both at length for a few weeks and decided to sell the Panoptic. To my eyes the UWAN was every bit its equal optically, same true fov but with the slightly higher magnification the contrast was noticeably better. The one downside to the UWAN is the weight, its HEAVY!, and does require some sort of counterweight system. Some users also find the eyecup a bit unwieldy, i personally have no problems with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived