SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Size Matters!

Damo636

I would love to get a look through the Nagler sometime. Like you Alan i went for the 35mm Panoptic as i thought the cost of the Nagler was truly astronomical! The big Pan is a fantastic ep.

Yeah the 35mm Panoptic is a beast!

Looking forward to taking delivery of the green hand grenade

:D

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

....which begs the question, ' how do Branston baked beans (which I didn't know existed!) compare with Heinz?'

I can see it being up there with Apple vs Android as a debate :-)

Stu

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

....which begs the question, ' how do Branston baked beans (which I didn't know existed!) compare with Heinz?'

I can see it being up there with Apple vs Android as a debate :-)

Stu

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

oooooh, now your talkin'. I much prefer the price of Branstons :D

Jeez, that Ethos is like a chimney ;). I see you have the Hyperion tuning ring added Shane, i plan to do the same on my incoming 13mm :D for the added stability. Can anyone tell me what the screw in the chrome barrel is for?

defo worth it. protects the field lens and also makes for less faffing with adapters in the dark. I find more often than not that I only use the 26mm and 13mm with my big dob.

I want to replace my 9mm BGO though soon for my planetary dob as that always gave the best views.

defo worth it. protects the field lens and also makes for less faffing with adapters in the dark. I find more often than not that I only use the 26mm and 13mm with my big dob.

I want to replace my 9mm BGO though soon for my planetary dob as that always gave the best views.

Like you Shane i found i was going straight from the 28 Uwan to the 13 Nagler, cutting out everything in between. I still have the 24 Pan but seriously considering selling it along with the 9mm Nagler & the 7mm Nirvana and picking up an 8mm Ethos. I reckon those 3 ep's (28 Uwan, 13 & 8mm Ethos) would cover 95% of my observing needs. Decisions, decisions :D

J... Can anyone tell me what the screw in the chrome barrel is for?

The 13, 8 and 6mm Ethos are supplied with a small screw for use when you use the eyepieces in a 1.25" drawtube. The screw is supposed to clamp the eyepiece into the drawtube. I removed mine and keep them in the eyepiece boxes as I always intend to use them in 2" drawtubes.

Wow that would be a cracking selection of EP's :D

I really like my 24mm Panoptic and 13mm Nagler which cover all my DSO viewing with the Nagler zoom for planetary/lunar and doble stars.

These three eyepieces cover all my needs.

Something a bit wider than 24mm is what I need now (hence the 35mm Panoptic) the north America and veil nebula have alluded me so far due to lack of dark sky trips and the aspheric 36mm EP does not play ball with this scope...

Wow that would be a cracking selection of EP's :D

I really like my 24mm Panoptic and 13mm Nagler which cover all my DSO viewing with the Nagler zoom for planetary/lunar and doble stars.

These three eyepieces cover all my needs.

Something a bit wider than 24mm is what I need now (hence the 35mm Panoptic) the north America and veil nebula have alluded me so far due to lack of dark sky trips and the aspheric 36mm EP does not play ball with this scope...

The 35 Pan and an Oiii filter are a fantastic combo for both those targets Mark. I'm lucky in that i have reasonably dark skies but the Oiii really helps make the Veil jump out.

Thanks Damo, I picked up a skywatcher OIII filter last week so fingers crossed I can squeeze a little more detail out of it.

I suspected I might have seen parts of the veil with the 24mm pan and Lumicon UHC filter but I suspect it was wishful thinking on my part :D

Will have to give it a try again next week ;)

Thanks Damo, I picked up a skywatcher OIII filter last week so fingers crossed I can squeeze a little more detail out of it.

I hope I'm wrong but if the SW OIII is anything like the SW UHC you might struggle seeing any thing in the 80mm. It's very rare I use the SW UHC in my 8" as I found it so harsh and as a rule of thumb OIII are said to be harsher in comparison to UHC's.

here's my little 7mm BGO getting picked on by three bigger boys.

I thought you'd sold your BGO's Shane ?? Give me a nudge if you plan to let the 7 & 9mm go in the future :D

hi mate

I only sold the first three of the four I had that went. I retained the 7mm which would have been the last to go) and will be re-buying a 9mm and 12.5mm when funds allow. I only sold them for a specific purpose (my Giro mount) and always intended getting some back again - they really are superb in my 6" f11.

I hope I'm wrong but if the SW OIII is anything like the SW UHC you might struggle seeing any thing in the 80mm. It's very rare I use the SW UHC in my 8" as I found it so harsh and as a rule of thumb OIII are said to be harsher in comparison to UHC's.

It's the Skywatcher Oiii i have and although i have nothing to compare it to it seems pretty good. Although i can just about make out the Veil unfiltered in the 8'' it really jumps out with the Oiii in place. I have read that the Baader one is even harsher.

As long as we're talking about filters, I'm planning to get a UHC one for viewing nebulae in my SW 120/1000 Evostar. I was comparing a rather affordable Castell UHC the local store has in stock with a Lumicon UHC, which I'd have to order online, and would cost me about three times as much once I pay shipping and taxes. I've been comparing the two regarding bandwidth and it looks like Lumicon's is a lot less forgiving; this is generally a good thing with a UHC filter but I'm wondering if the broader band Castell might actually work better considering my aperture? I'm worried about the views just ending up too dim on a 120mm refractor, with a filter that does it's job too well :D I'm interested in visual observation only - I'd like to see if I can get more detail to show on the gray puff of smoke that is the Dumbbell Nebula in my scope, for example.

From the absorption graphs the Lumicon UHC is one of the more narrow band UHC filters however the Skywatcher OIII filter is one of the widest OIII filters more suited to smaller apertures.

I have no problems with the Lumicon filter on my refractors but do struggle with the OIII filter.

Brightness of the image is defined by the exit pupil of the telescope/eyepiece if you keep the view quite wide then the OIII filter is more useful. Think Veil and North America Nebula which are huge and therefore need the lowest magnification available.

Exit puil is less of an issue for these.

Small stuff like Planetary nebula are a bit more challanging.

Archived