Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Size Matters!

Damo636

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John, an excellent fair and concise report as usual. The price difference between the UWAN and the premium brands of Televue and Pentax makes any decision between each of them challenging. However the difference is enough to spend on another piece of glass. This is like the eyepiece equivalent of the Italian job in getting the right balance. Is there a correct answer?

Many thanks for that.

James

Go on then, show us your 57 varieties of eyepieces.

Sorry, OP, but here's a little trivia:

The whole 57 varieties things was made up. Heinz just thought it would sound good!

Mind you, 57 EPs the size of that would be quite something to lug around! :rolleyes:

Am slightly embarrassed by the chick peas! No idea where they came from but my only other option was a small tin of beans and little sausages which would have been misleading, and besides, I have just eaten them (on toast) :-)

The UWAN I use alot, gives great magnification in the mak with a reasonable fov that makes finding stuff easier. I do confess to loving the 31t5, particularly in my 4" frac. Such a wonderful field of view, pin point stars and lovely contrast. I'm far from being up to John's review standards mind you, just my humble opinion :-)

Stu

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

well the 31mm Nagler is one heck of an eyepiece from what I have read, its only the price that stopped me from buying one, went for the 35mm Panoptic instead

as for chick peas, they cannot compare to HB :rolleyes:

I would love to get a look through the Nagler sometime. Like you Alan i went for the 35mm Panoptic as i thought the cost of the Nagler was truly astronomical! The big Pan is a fantastic ep.

I take it that is the biggest eyepiece that Televue do?

I am sure that I read somewhere that they used to do one even bigger a few years back.

The 41mm Panoptic is around the same weight and bulk as the 31mm Nagler. The Type 2 20mm Nagler was a little heavier than the 31mm but around the same size. The later Type 5 20mm (which I own) managed a remarkable shrinking job:

post-12764-133877677096_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if the US governement banned TeleVue eyepieces for export, out of concern that someone might use them to construct SSBNs.. got my 17mm Ethos delivered yesterday, the thing is huge :D

Archived