SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Opinions, please.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just to through in some confusion- at the nanoscopic level the brain may act as a quantum computer. as i gather some particles can exist in two places- and it gets very weird. speaking of weird is the sun sentient i don`t know ,ask data off star trek. i think he`d say no and agree you friend may be a loony as stated above.

No im afraid the sun is alive and sentient.........

Ive just watched Teletubbies and the Sun deffinatley has a face and Talks :D

If any of you has a problem with this can i suggest you have a word with Lala or Tinkywinky.Dipsy may disagree but then he/she was always the cynical Teletubby

:D

I'll repeat my answer to your question from the SPA board:

There are a number of definitions of "life". A few of them from wikipedia are below:

Homeostasis: Regulation of the internal environment to maintain a constant state; for example, sweating to reduce temperature.

I think you could argue both ways that a star hits this target due to it's internal structure taking time to change. Moot point.

Metabolism: Consumption of energy by converting nonliving material into cellular components (anabolism) and decomposing organic matter (catabolism). Living things require energy to maintain internal organization (homeostasis) and to produce the other phenomena associated with life.

Not really valid in this context, but it could perhaps be argued that a star converts hydrogen into heavier elements, which are perhaps a part of their internal structure.

Growth: Maintenance of a higher rate of synthesis than catalysis. A growing organism increases in size in all of its parts, rather than simply accumulating matter. The particular species begins to multiply and expand as the evolution continues to flourish.

The sun does not grow, other than in response to physical laws at the end of it's "life" when it's nuclear fuel has been expended and it's internal pressure briefly overcomes it's gravity.

Adaptation: The ability to change over a period of time in response to the environment. This ability is fundamental to the process of evolution and is determined by the organism's heredity as well as the composition of metabolized substances, and external factors present.

I dont believe a star shows this.

Response to stimuli: A response can take many forms, from the contraction of a unicellular organism when touched to complex reactions involving all the senses of higher animals. A response is often expressed by motion, for example, the leaves of a plant turning toward the sun or an animal chasing its prey.

I dont believe a star shows this.

Reproduction: The ability to produce new organisms. Reproduction can be the division of one cell to form two new cells. Usually the term is applied to the production of a new individual (either asexually, from a single parent organism, or sexually, from at least two differing parent organisms), although strictly speaking it also describes the production of new cells in the process of growth.

It can be argued that when a star dies it speads it's gas far and wide, which then has the chance to become another star. However I dont beleive that can be classed as reproduction as no information about the parent star is retained in the gas.

All in all I dont think there is any real evidence that a star can be a life form. Without some solid hyposthesis that is testable it can be neither confirmed or denied. However "Extraordinary Claims Demand Extraordinary Proof"

aren`t we all made of star dust- admittantly stuff thats condensed over millions of years to make up planets- intresting fact is that gold is only produced in supernovae. if the sun is sentiant perhaps it`s having a laugh with global warming.

Well, the sun may not be alive in the way we perceive life, but it certainly is a giver of life, and will continue to do so, unless the crazies on the planet earth get even crazier, and undo all the suns good work, by blowing us all to oblivion.

Archived