Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Opinions, please.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It depends on what you mean by "alive". The one thing that all "alive" entities share is that they have evolved. Where's mommy-Sun? What's the inheritance mechanism? That's the kind of questions your friend should be thinking about if he/she wants to convince others.

Sentient? I am not going down that one. Nobody has a clue what that is.

Sorry Karen, but I think your friend is wrong. A sentient being would mean that it thinks and bases it's actions on those thoughts accordingly.

To my basic grasp of things, our sun is just a huge ball of nuclear fusion and will just keep on creating nuclear reacions until it's fuel has run out.

If you are looking down the Buddhist principle of the sentient then the principle that an object formed of many things depicts its existence and being can also be awarded to a bottle of white spirit. However if you are relating to the same principle of a beating heart which sends oxygenated blood around a system for life then thats a different question entirely. Id base it on actual psyical matter, what do various entities perform, can life sustain itself without light or heat, when the sun finally dies in around 5 billion years time will not mankind have instigated some other form of life.

My own principle is therefor, what do you depict as alive? is a stone a living thing? not a highly moralistic question but one really based on the laws of Physics and how physics and biology may work together.

IIRC, classical biological science defines a living entity as one that exhibits all of the following traits:

• [li]Movement[/li]
    [li]Excretion[/li]
    [li]Reproduction[/li]
    [li]Respiration[/li]
    [li]Irritability[/li]
    [li]Nutrition[/li]
    [li]Growth[/li]

Sentience is not a requirement. From the above, I'd say the sun was not a living entity. Nor are hills. Internet Trolls, unfortunately, are.

This reminds me of an otherwise intelligent person I met while working on Tesla coils. He and his wife were aquaintances of Bert Hickman, a well known Tesla hobbyist. I met them with the hopes of being put into contact with Bert, (which they did), but along the way his wife asked what I thought of the Sun. Well, you know me, I went a little overboard describing my observations and the Sun's workings. She looked at me quizzically and asked, "So, are you sure it's not hollow and housing an ancient, advanced civilization that's monitoring the Human Race?"

I did like Vega and ran for the hills.

I can very much confirm the Sun is not alive, nor sentient in any definable way.

Archived