Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Scope for £100 max

Now before you all start.......;)

Its for a 8 yr old girl with a passing interest in looking at the night sky ( shes been looking through mine) who's mum doesn't want to spend too much as its for Christmas.

Now i have already had the conversation , so Bino's are out and the budget IS rigid.

Whats out there ???? :rolleyes:

Cheers

Steve

I have many grandkids - 12 years and younger...they say they're interested in astronomy - but everything seems to exist in their life as "30 second sound bites"

I ended up buying half a dozen of the 75mm Heritage dobbies ( well you can't give something to one and not the other.....)

They actually went down pretty well...the 8 YO had it up and running viewing Jupiter within five minutes....

You get a small scope and a small mount, but equally functional....IMHO a good introduction to telescopes and observational astronomy.

i looks like a second hand scope will be better value for money, i sold an as new skywatcher 130p autotrak for £130, boxed as new, mint scope, sorry to see it go, i bought it new for my then 8 year old daughter. it`s the one in my avitar, it has a 5.1" diameter mirror, easy to use and very easy set up. great views of the moon, jupiter, saturn, orion nebula and so on, i would highly recomend one for an 8 year old.

I would agree with merlin and lianachan First Light Optics - Skywatcher Heritage 76 Mini Dobsonian .... £50 you cant go wrong, If she gets bored its not alot wasted, but it will also be a great scope for moon, planets and the obvious orion, M45 and M31...

If it was stretchable then the the 130p is a possibility... First Light Optics - Skywatcher Heritage 130p Flextube

but thats £35 more an extra 35%.

The 76 has my vote :rolleyes:

I bought a celestron firstscope for an eight year old - it was quite usable without the accessory kit. When we did get the kit, the kids seemed to have more fun playing with the finderscope than the original scope - I think the finder had a 'pirate' feel to it. Anyway they took the scope home with them and after three months I don't think the kids have so much as looked at the moon (their mom has been using it apparently). I even wrote them a little book describing targets suitable for the firstscope...

...in fact there's one of those 70/500 skywatcher mercury scopes on ebay at the mo!

there is also a longer version 70/700 the mount doesnt look as good but a mate of mine picked one up for his 6yo a while back and seems pleased with it

Archived