SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Spitzer's Version of the Pillars of Creation

FLO

10 Nov, 2005

One of the most iconic images taken by the Hubble Space Telescope is of the Eagle Nebula, aka the "Pillars of Creation". NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope has taken a similar photograph of a region in the Cassiopeia constellation called W5. This region is dominated by a single massive star blowing powerful solar winds. The surrounding dust and material has been cleared, and compacted into the pillars - these contain clusters of newborn stars.

image.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/d745c

10 Nov, 2005

One of the most iconic images taken by the Hubble Space Telescope is of the Eagle Nebula, aka the "Pillars of Creation". NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope has taken a similar photograph of a region in the Cassiopeia constellation called W5. This region is dominated by a single massive star blowing powerful solar winds. The surrounding dust and material has been cleared, and compacted into the pillars - these contain clusters of newborn stars.

image.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/d745c

When I see formations in space like this, I can't help but be awed by creation. It is truely amazing what is "out there". I often wonder whether electric current flow though such formations and are part of the solar formation process, particlarly if these are iron rich clouds.

Even more amzing when you consider these are about 10 times the size of the Pillars!

:shock:

I agree. One can't help but be humbled by the size and scale of these "dust clouds" and high temperature plasmas that permiate presumably "empty" space. I suspect in the future that plasma cosmology will replace today's "gravity only" notions of how the universe works.

plasma - (n.)

A state of matter similar to a gas but composed of isolated electrons and nuclei rather than discrete whole atoms or molecules.

Can anyone offer a more man-on-the-street definition of Plasma .... please :clouds1:

Thanks,

Steve

plasma - (n.)

A state of matter similar to a gas but composed of isolated electrons and nuclei rather than discrete whole atoms or molecules.

Can anyone offer a more man-on-the-street definition of Plasma .... please :clouds1:

Thanks,

Steve

Plasma is simply another "form" of matter, much like a gas, liquid or solid. It is more or less an ionized form of matter (missing an electron or two).

Archived