Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader Hyperion Zoom or somthing else?

But a newbie looking to buy an eyepiece set around £130 is much better off getting the zoom for a little more because of the leap in quality that an ep set won't necessarily give - and that is really what they are looking for. It also gives a range of useful field stops :rolleyes:

(Unfortunately I've been the ep set path and wish I hadn't)

I think this is spot on, I started with the standard SkyWatcher 10 and 25mm eyepieces and shortly after decided to purchase the SkyWaycher LET eyepiece set which had I known any better I would not of chose this route as I found myself prefering the original kit EP's. Recently I purchased the Hyperion Zoom and all I have to say is it's the best accessory I own and has immediately rendered all other EP's I own to obscurity.

The views it gives through a PST are great and allows for relatively hassle free dslr attachment no barlows needed. But I was blown away the other night when I looked at Jupiter with it, it's like a whole new scope, certainly compared to buying a EP set of similar value I don't think there is a better choice than the zoom.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had a Mk2 Hyperion Zoom and were very happy with it.

I felt the fixed focal length Hyperions gave a better view but the zoom of course is dead handy to have low power to find something then higher power to zoom in.

We partly sold it because we didn't think we needed a zoom really. We're now thinking of getting a zoom again! :rolleyes:

+1 for the zoom. I'm more of an imager than an observer but when I observe it is now the only EP I use.

I did buy a cheap £30 zoom EP first to see how I would get on with a zoom before I went for the Baader.

I'm very pleased with mine and use it in all of my scopes from f5 to f12.

Oopps! Sorry Sherr03, I ordered one from FLO yesterday - might've been the last one in stock:o. I'm sure they'll have a few more in soon.

Doc

PS: I'd deffo think about or try the BST ep's too (used to be 'Paradigms' I think), I also have two at the moment, the 5mm and the 18mm and use them often when i'm out observing.

Alan at http://www.skysthelimit.org.uk/ is really good to deal with too!!

Hi, just to add my 2 cents worth on the Baader - I have the mark and it is just brilliant - it is now my eyepiece of choice = I do agree with the comment on eye comfort but the rubber cup is easily adjustable so makes it easy to achieve a good eye position.

Cheers Paul

Wow! Sounds very nice, but, maybe just try one first to see how you get on with it, he he! I think Alan will let you do that before you buy, which is a great idea!

Even though I really like the two I have, not everyone gets on with the same ones, hence all the discussions on this 'ere forum about eyepieces, he he!

Doc

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

An interesting post regarding Zoom mklll and latterly BSTs.

I must say that recommendations from certain SGL members go a long way! Thanks Brantuk!

I ordered a GSO 32mm last night, (a late Christmas pressie to myself) for widefield views in my Skymax 127.

I like the idea of the Zoom mklll - especially after Brantuk's endorsement - but hesitate because I wear glasess for astigmatism.

Would this piece be suitable with my glasses and for that matter, my Mak 127?

Tim

Oh, and a Happy New Year to all.

Hi Tim - sorry but I don't know how astigmatism would affect viewing with the zoom. However I can say it has a wind up eye cup that may enable you to set the best viewing position with corrective glasses.

It would be a good idea to join a local astro soc or attend a star party and see if you can borrow one to try before you buy. That way you'll know for sure if it's suitable for you :p

(Or FLO may be able to help out with "loan kit" under their new scheme)

Archived