Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader Hyperion Zoom or somthing else?

Just wanted some advice on getting some eyepieces. I won some money at Poker the other night so im after a few decent eyepieces. I like the thought of the First Light Optics - Baader Hyperion Zoom Eyepiece but have read mixed reviews on it. Also i like the idea of being able to connect my DSLR to it. Would i be better just getting a few Fixed EP's if so can anybody recomend some. Thanks

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The zoom is very good value for money and a huge step up in quality from supplied eyepieces. The most flexible and most used eyepiece in my kit. Baader should be paying me cos I'm allways promoting their zoom. I was amazed by the way it changed my 150P when I first tried it. It actually became a proper and useable scope.

If you've any doubts get a loaner to try from your local astro soc - you'll love it - or I'll eat my ethos lol :)

I would second the Baader. For the money it is a keeper and the quality is very good. No zoom is a magic bullet, if they were, then all our eyepiece cases would be empty.:) There is a convenience factor attached to them and are useful in very cold weather when you might not feel so inclined to keep fastening, unfastening different eyepieces when performing general levels of observing. The zoom has pre set stops but also works between the click stops and so educationally, it is a very useful tool in understanding how magnification works and what focal lengths might best suit your scope. One drawback is the field of view experienced through the range of focal points but for me its a small price to pay for a very well priced bit of kit. The new ones are currently sold as Mk III and they do come up for sale from time to time second hand.

On the possible imaging purchase, I would suggest you get hold of Steve Richards "Making Every Photon Count"(FLO £19.95) if you haven't already got it as a away of providing a comprehensive overview on what you need and why you need it in order to formulate a realistic budget. It is very easy to spend a lot of money on kit so you need to know what best to buy. You are off to a cracking start with your NEQ6 and hopefully with a few more 'good hands', the remaining kit won't be far behind!:):D

James

I too am a fan of the Hyperion zoom. It does not give a better view than my individual TeleVue plossls, but the views are still excellent, and the ability to change magnification without swapping eyepieces makes it worth while for me. Some users might find the field of view too small, especially at low magnification. Also it's big and heavy. But I don't find those significant drawbacks.

Re; Steves book mentioned above, that's the bible for imaging :) However I think the OPs original post just passed mention that it was a nice feature the DSLR could be attached to the EP? (Not a request to purchase imaging kit.)

Thanks for all the info. I have Making every photon count and its a great book. I will have a quick look on the sale section and see if anybody has one. If not ill order one from flow. Thanks Guys

Sorry to but in, but I have just sent off for the Baader after umming and ahhing about it for ages, so i'll let you know what I think!

I want it for a good quality general purpose ep for finding targets before maybe switching to my other fixed focal length ep's,

Also I keep seeing Brantuk raving about it, so it must be ok!:rolleyes:

Doc

IMO the zoom eyepieces work well in a grab n go set up where one eyepiece saves carrying your hole case.

Even though my 10" is my grab n go scope I still personally prefer to take two fixed focal length eyepieces and a Barlow.

In think it' a case of "suck it and see."

Regards Steve

"Also I keep seeing Brantuk raving about it, so it must be ok"

Thanks for the vote of confidence Doc - just so long as you appreciate it's a good, vfm, mid range, zoom (as John says above). I do try and point out that 5 equivalent single stop ep's can be better, and that the Baader is no Televue. It's also all down to personal preference.

But a newbie looking to buy an eyepiece set around £130 is much better off getting the zoom for a little more because of the leap in quality that an ep set won't necessarily give - and that is really what they are looking for. It also gives a range of useful field stops :rolleyes:

(Unfortunately I've been the ep set path and wish I hadn't)

Dont listen to kim, i have never seen him using a scope...

In all seriousness i have the skywatcher, sub50 pound zoom and it made lots of people at kelling want one, the baader is better but imo its not 125 pound better and zooms are not that good anyway, you could get a skywatcher zoom and a second hand nagler in your favourate focal length for 175

Sent from my A101IT using Tapatalk

My two pence worth...

I actually had a Hyperion Zoom but didn't get on with it. It was a nice piece of kit but I found I couldn't find a good eye position (I do wear glasses but not for viewing). I've gone back to individual eyepieces.

I only mention this because it's sometimes worth having a look at these things before purchase. However, they do have a reasonable resale value and the optics are great so it's not too much of a risk :rolleyes:

Good luck with the scope

Steve

I have a really cheap 8-24mm zoom, it punches way past its weight. Have lent it out and it has the same reaction. I have the 5.5mm Hyperion and it is excellent, so as far as the hyperion zoom goes ---- I want one!.

Cheers

Lol @ Colin - very true - the Skywatcher zoom is a very cheap one and superb vfm but it does suffer a lot of internal reflection, and not in the same class of engineering as the Baader. Not as flexible either but still a great bargain - I've seen them go for £35 second hand :rolleyes:

@Steve - a great example of personal preference - the eye relief and positioning is indeed something you either get on with or not. It may also be peculiar for people who wear glasses when observing. ;)

Moral of the story - eyepieces are an entirely personal thing - I must learn to temper my enthusiasm for stuff that I like, and put a more balanced view :o

Its a great bit of kit if you want a step up from the stock ep's but dont have the wallet to go the whole hog. I was thinking of getting a £130 case with loads of different eps and filters etc in there until yes you guessed it BRANTUK mentioned the baader zoom ( he really should be on there books ). Im impressed with it and serves a great urpose until those lotto numbers come in and the wife lets me splash out.

I've had a Mk111 Hyperion zoom for about a year and I agree with all the comments regarding the quality and convenience and use it regularly.

I do have the the M43-T2 adapter and the 40mm T2 extension tube that is required to attach a DSLR to do eyepiece projection but haven't got round to trying it .

I will say that it is a lot of weight to hang off the 1.25 nose piece when all screwed together ( I have assembled it all to try it ).

One issue is Baader don't bother with instructions just a downloadable "fact sheet" with illustrations

Just my 2 cents worth but for the price of the zoom you could have at least four fixed focal length BST Explorers, maybe something like 25,18,12 and 8mm. I haven't used them but most folk on here rave about them. Food for thought :rolleyes:

Archived