SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NGC7000 - the wall

robertm

Hi All,

I've not posted for quite a while now as I've had a few things to sort out, then there was all the great weather we has in June/July/August and part of September :) I finally managed to grab some time over that clear week we had a short while ago and this is my first process from then.

I'd be interested in any processing suggestions.

6226717043_3bdbbb6e43_b.jpg

Link to full res: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6156/6226717043_bbc4bfe969_o.jpg

Capture details:

Optics: Skywatcher MN190

Camera: FLI ML8300

Filter: Baader Ha

Subs: 18 x 1200s

Date: 28-29/09/2011

Capture and calibration: MaximDL 5.12

Processing: Pixinsight 1.7

Mount: Takahashi NJP guided via 200mm finder guider.

Thanks

Robert

Hi Robert,

That is exquisite. No other word for it. The finesse of the detail is surely as good as it gets and the long subs have made it creamy smooth. Like Kevin I might well leave well alone though just maybe some work on local contrasts might bring more modelling to the brighter parts.

Superb as is.

Olly

Thanks for your kind words. It's very rare to get conditions that good on the edge of London so I was pleasantly surprised with the low noise after stacking. Low noise just opens up so many more options when processing with Pixinsight.

I wish I lived in a really dark place like you Olly - dream on ... Maybe I'll come down and visit again.

Best Wishes

Robert

This is a lovely image, nicely captured and processed - I'd be tempted not to touch it too much further although I found (to my eye) that a little touch of 'Shadow/Highlight' followed by a gentle contrast boost brought out even more of the delicious detail that you have captured. This really is a 'beauty in the eye of the beholder' situation - it's a lovely image as it stands!

Pah! With the 190 Mak Newt this is a typical shot! :rolleyes:

Great scope and a great shot. Very nice - loads of detail

However I would be inclined to increase the contrast of the mid tones as apart from the big dark dust cloud the rest of it although delicate in detail appears to me rather flat.

For example if you lock both ends of a curves tool you can increase the contrast without altering the dark clouds and the highlights. It doesn't need much at all imo.

Good imaging though (also a 190MN owner so probably very biased)

Thanks again for the feedback. I've taken on board all your suggested improvements to the image. They all make a lot of sense so I'll have another go and see what I can do. Hopefully I won't spoil it, just minor tweaks...

Robert

Well, I got some time to reprocess and tried Pixinsights HDRWavelet process for the first time. I've probably over done it but this is the result. I think I've slightly blown the highlights a tad but it's added quite a bit of extra contrast and brought out some extra detail. Let me know what you think.

6241416415_dc314a2417_b.jpg

Link to full size: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6152/6241416415_91007a4194_o.jpg

Robert

Thanks for the kind comments.

Olly, I was concentrating on the nebula but you're right about the stars. Will try to contain them in PI.

I'm shunning PS completely at the moment in favour of PI as I grapple with the learning curve - I haven't even got it loaded on my new laptop.

Robert

Great image, its interesting to see so much detail, as as a purely observer, I only ever "see" smudge"

The swirls of dust look very fine, it would be extremely interesting if there was some way we could get an idea of scale, to see how big these clouds actually are!

cheers

wise

Archived