SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Slight change to Buy/Sell sections

This morning we have made some changes to the way the buy/sell section works.

The one month membership / 50 post rule still applies. But from now on you will not be able to reply to threads that you yourself haven't started.

All communication about the item should be conducted via PM only. If there is an update to the ad then the Original Poster can reply to the thread with the new information or to mark the item(s) as sold.

All threads are displayed in the order in which they were FIRST posted - bumping will no longer bring the thread to the start.

As before threads will be removed after 8 weeks.

These changes also apply to the Trade and Wanted sections. It will take a little time (8 weeks strangely) for this change to fully clean up the sections, but will make the section much cleaner and easier for the mod team to manage.

Any queries please let us know.

Cheers

Ant

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure I like the bumping rule, it means unless someone responds to my want ad which they now can't do anyway it will disappear into obscurity. Is that right?

I'm not sure this has been thouroughly thought through.

But if it's not on the first page of the want section nobody bothers looking, case in point someone put an ad in for the same thing as my ad yesterday and got a reply straight off the bat where as mine is off the page altogether mainly because I was reluctant to bump it.

I think it's fair that the person who submits the ad can't bump it but I think replies are necessary in some cases.

Nope the 8 weeks rule is a manual thing - we just move the posts to the completed section as and when we get time, but we try not to move posts until the 8weeks is up, although I have been known to be a little over zealous on occasion :).

Think of the "For Sales" sections in the same way as cards in a shop window.

They are there for 2 months after which time they are removed. If your interested in something you contact the seller - you don't write on the card in the window.

Cheers

Ant

I think the changes are a great idea.

There is nothing worse than people 'bumping' ads back to the top and this will stop it.

If there is no interest in an ad it is because either nobody wants the items or the price is too high.

It is great that forum users offer items up for sale here first for the benefit of other forum users and I have benefited from both buying and selling on the forum.

However I am sure if given free reign some would abuse this facility.

If you are unhappy with the changes there are other sites primarily for selling and buying, unlike this forum.

Paul

I think the changes are a great idea.

There is nothing worse than people 'bumping' ads back to the top and this will stop it.

If there is no interest in an ad it is because either nobody wants the items or the price is too high.

It is great that forum users offer items up for sale here first for the benefit of other forum users and I have benefited from both buying and selling on the forum.

However I am sure if given free reign some would abuse this facility.

If you are unhappy with the changes there are other sites primarily for selling and buying, unlike this forum.

Paul

I totally agree with Paul and that saves me having to write the same!

It was never our intention to upset anyone and we don't want anyone to go elsewhere because of this.

I do understand that you cannot please everyone though. We really think that having a cleaner For Sale section, where you don't have the scroll through page after page of conversation and banter to see what is for sale and still for sale will make the whole section much better for everyone.

If you can immediately see what's for sale and move onto the next post if not interested, maybe more will get through to the second and third page....

Cheers

Ant

I can understand the change. I'm sure we'll all get used to it. Change can be a bit weird at first. At least I now know I don't need to go to entry level pc usage class. I thought I was losing the plot. Mind you, the latter is still very possible.........

Andy.

One thing that would be an advantage and will tie in with the new changes would be the ability to edit the initial listing at any time.

That way if multiple items are listed they can be updated with the price removed and SOLD placed there instead.

Otherwise people will be having to reply to lots of PM's asking if the items have been sold.

It would also facilitate price reductions and as requested by the Mods the name of the person who has bought said items.

Paul

We're also quite happy for an item to be reposted for sale once it's been moved to the completed section, but please don't repost an item for sale just because it's moved a page or two down.

I will remove any that I see.

Cheers

Ant

Archived