NGC 7331 and Stephan's Quintet

MartinB

I captured this last week over a couple of evenings. Conditions weren't ideal with a lot of moisture in the atmosphere and light pollution but at least there was no moon.

These galaxies lie at the edge of the constellation of Pegasus. NGC 7331 is bottom left and is about 50million light years away. This and the small galaxies below are known at the Deer Lick Group. Stephan's Quintet is top right. The larger, slightly bluer galaxy in the group (NGC 7320) is much nearer to us than the others (approx 40 million light years) and is a line of sight association only. The others are 2-300 million light years away and gravitationally interacting with each other. This distances are pretty mind blowing!

Scope: Skywatcher MN190

Camera: QSI 532 wsg (integrated off axis guider) and SX Lodestar

Filters: Astronomic Type II LRGB plus IDAS LP filter

Lum 19x15 mins RGB each 19 x 2 mins binned x2

Captured, calibrated and combined with Maxim. Deconvolution in CCDStack and finished in PS

Deer Lick and Stephans Quintet LRGB.tif

post-12794-133877674551_thumb.jpg

Can only echo the previous comments, really lovely image, so much detail and so much to see apart from the main objects. I do like Stephan's Quintet

Cheers

Stu

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Stunning result martin, the galaxy colours are fantastic and the level of detail is awesome, one for the wall me thinks. :)

A Tiny red tint to the background on my screen But that may just be my screen.

Mike.

Thanks everyone for the feedback :happy1:

Stunning result martin, the galaxy colours are fantastic and the level of detail is awesome, one for the wall me thinks. :)

A Tiny red tint to the background on my screen But that may just be my screen.

Mike.

I've had another look and I think you are right although it is subtle. The levels don't suggest any red bias but moving the red 3 to the right blackens things up a little. Thanks Mike

Beautiful image Martin, I am now obsessed with backgrounds and yours is exquisite! Now there's a word this poor northerner doesn't use very often! Unless I'm describing a sausage sandwich :)

Matt.

Now that would be a good name for a nebula :D

My, Martin, that's a classy one! Sharp, smooth, great star and galaxy colour, fine background... and a good write-up to boot!

(Edouard Stephan was director of Marseille Observatory not too far south of where we live and he used, I believe, a big Newtonian made by Foucault, of pendulum fame.)

Flawless image.

Olly

Archived