Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

Not seen many pics of Mars so thought I'd have a go. Only 5" so pretty tricky but here it is anyway.

post-20646-133877674538_thumb.jpg

That`s a great image. Polar cap and Syrtis Major ( I think!) clearly visible. Great definition. Well done.

The wee small hours John! Rises bit before 02.00. Bit early for me I`m afraid. :) Have to wait a bit...

Up at 2:00 am is a little hard for me. Does anyone know when Mars will become visible at evening hours once more?

Isabelle

Freddie, are you stacking images with a webcam or can you get that with your ATIK? Ive never imaged Mars so if I go out at 3:00AM I want to be set up properly, thanks:) BTW, great detail in your image.

Edited by JohnnyD333

Thanks for the comments.

JohnnyD333, this was taken with my DBK21. I wouldn't get the required rapid frame rate with the Atik.

Mars will rise earlier and earlier until it hits opposition early next year. By the 1st January it will rise around 10pm from the UK and by mid February it will rise around 8pm.

ye, nice pic, I have seen it rising from here quite early in the morning, only a naked eye and binocular view but was thrilled to see it back again.

That fantastic reddish tone is unmistakable :rolleyes:

Wow, what a great level of detail. Do you know which way north is? Having tried to capture Mars myself (with little success!) and found it very difficult. Looking forward to it getting a bit bigger.

Hi Jove not sure if you have this already but just in case, if you download this Stellarium

it will help you in what is visible from your location, just go to location window and put in you own latitude/longitude info and it will be set.

You then be able t see exactly where Mars is as well as so much else.

Edited by Nexus 6