SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

BBC Four Between 1.10 and 2.20Am

gordyb

The first programme is the Sky at Night focussing on Andromeda and secondly from 1.40 am to 2.20 am a programme called Star Men looking at the 40,000 amateur astronomers in the UK.Should be good viewing.:)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys are so fortunate to still have a TV network or networks willing to make and/or broadcast such excellent content.

New Zealand TV consists of absolutely nothing but utter garbage targeted at drooling morons. No exaggeration at all. (Every other Kiwi SGL member will back me up on that.)

Sit, watch, enjoy, and know that the rest of us are busy scouring the 'net for torrents... :)

Good - any astro on TV has to be a good thing generally and I did enjoy Star Men and in the time it had available it was a good overview.

Bad - Reinforced the idea that astronomy is an eccentric weirdy beardy man hobby (Heather Couper excepted) - I don't have any facial hair!!!!

You guys are so fortunate to still have a TV network or networks willing to make and/or broadcast such excellent content.

New Zealand TV consists of absolutely nothing but utter garbage targeted at drooling morons. No exaggeration at all. (Every other Kiwi SGL member will back me up on that.)

Sit, watch, enjoy, and know that the rest of us are busy scouring the 'net for torrents... :)

Hi

Try this link: BBC iPlayer - iPlayer TV Home

HTH!

I found watching the "Star Men" program very enjoyable and it was amazing to see the wide variety of people getting into astronomy and the range of equipment used. That half a binocular on a tripod was a very clever solution and the gentlemen obviously put it to best use in discovering the nova, I certainly can't claim to have anywhere near the same level of dedication to the hobby as he did but I enjoy what I do in my own way :)

Although I wouldn't mind discovering something new and exciting myself, a comet perhaps with a bit of snooping with the dob or binocs just after dark and before dawn :)

I have yet to watch S@N but I have the iPlayer up in the browser ATM ready to go.

A good programme but one has to ask the bbc what about the woman astronomers out there I dont think I saw any in this programme and that cant be right, it's not all men in sheds. Although I have to say the hair styles were pretty awesome.

I'm out of the coutry at the moment so can't watch them......drat!!

iplayer won't work if you're not in the UK, and if you've got content on your computer that you've recorded at home, and try to watch it while you're connected to the net, iplayer deletes it, which is really annoying!

Rob

Star Men was a good watch. Terry Pratchetts dome looked superb.

I was a bit perturbed about that clip with Patrick Moore interviewing Neil Armstrong though. I haven't seen that before.

The sky was black with no stars or planets visible at all? Even on the journey to the moon?

Isn't that a stark contradiction from what modern day astronauts report when they visit the ISS?

Archived