SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Eyepiece discussion thread with a difference.......

blinky

This morning a recieved my shipment of Meade eyepieces (A co-worker brought them back from USA for me). I got 2 'kits' from Meade and as such have a couple of doubles and some that cross over. I am wondering what ones to try and sell and what to keep! Here is what I just recieved:

2" 30mm QX Wide Angle Series 4000

1.25" 15mm QX Wide Angle Series 4000

2X 9.7mm 1.25" Super Plossl Series 4000

2X #126 Telenegative Barlow

1.25" 32mm Super Plossl Series 4000

1.25" 6.4mm Super Plossl Series 4000

So far I am going to sell 1 of the Barlow and 9.7mm Ep's

I am undecided on the 2" 30mm and the 1.25" 32mm. At first glance it would appear simple, keep the 2" EP. But I have an F5 Scope and 30 and 32mm are maybe a bit too low magnification? I also already have a 26mm 2" Revelation EP so this is maybe too close to the 30/32mm? So.....should I sell the Revelation and keep the QX? or kepp 'em both???

Or......Shoud l I see if somebody will swap the 30mm QX for a 26mm one and sell the Revelation, keep the 2 Barlow's and 9.7mm EP's and get a binoviewer :D

Oh and any idea's how much to ask for these items when selling 'em?

Hmm..... I just dont know. I dont see the need for 2 2" EP's about the same magnification but the Meade one just looks sooooooooo good!! I suppose I should sell the 32mm 1.25" since I assume that the FoV is not as big as the 2" EP. So now it is down to do I keep the revelation 26 or the Meade 30mm?

I wouldn't say the 30mm will give too low a magnification. It will make a dandy search ep, and once you've found your DSO in it, you might just want to move on to the next one. I use a 24mm and a 32mm ep as search eps, mostly the 24mm now, which gives me about 32x, the same as you will get with the 30mm.

Had a look round the web for reviews of the QX series and can't find many. But from the reviews I did find It appears the QX is like all 2" widefield eyepieces in the sub-£100 bracket.......they perform really well in a slow f10 scope which is more forgiving but their performance tails off in faster scopes such as an f5. I think you need to try the QX30mm and decide if it's an eyepiece you can live with. Some people just love widefields even if only 50% of the field is actually sharp. Others prefer if the field stop cuts in where the image degrades, even if it only means a 52degree AFOV.

I'd personally keep: 30mm QX, 15mm QX, 9.7mm SP, 6.4mm SP, #126 barlow and ditch the rest.

Russ

...the QX is like all 2" widefield eyepieces in the sub-£100 bracket.......they perform really well in a slow f10 scope which is more forgiving but their performance tails off in faster scopes such as an f5.

Good summary...

Had a look round the web for reviews of the QX series and can't find many. But from the reviews I did find It appears the QX is like all 2" widefield eyepieces in the sub-£100 bracket.......they perform really well in a slow f10 scope which is more forgiving but their performance tails off in faster scopes such as an f5. I think you need to try the QX30mm and decide if it's an eyepiece you can live with. Some people just love widefields even if only 50% of the field is actually sharp. Others prefer if the field stop cuts in where the image degrades, even if it only means a 52degree AFOV.

I'd personally keep: 30mm QX, 15mm QX, 9.7mm SP, 6.4mm SP, #126 barlow and ditch the rest.

Russ

That sounds like a plan :D I will also sell (I think) the revelation 26mm 2" I assume the meade QX is a better EP and there is no realy need for a 26mm and a 30mm EP.

Archived