Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Essex dark sky sights

Gottzi

Cheers for that, I'll give it a go. Light pollution isn't too bad where I am in North Colchester, but I have memories of visiting my Grandparents in deepest Norfolk where the skies are so dark, wish I had a scope then.

Hi,

I think we are spoilt for choice in our area. :)

With your location in mind I'd be heading for Nayland, Dedham, etc. However, one SGL member used to image at Orwell park in full glow of Ipswich, Felixstowe and Harwich Docks!! Futher afield the world is your oyster - I am further North so often take binos out to Stradbroke, Eye areas. Some friends live at Otley near Woodbridge with no immediate neighbours - very jealous of their dark sky and Tal 2M !!

Mersea is a good idea but if you get Bradwell 'B' then I expect the area will be lit up during construction - but that's a few years off yet? Sizewell B construction site was like daylight when being built!!

Remember your own safety (i.e being on your own in the middle of no where !) and ask any land owner their permission first.

Good luck and have fun

Bill £ :)

Hi Gottzi.

I am with Bill on this one.

I recon you best best in close range has got to be the Dedham Vale.

There is a nice big carpark above Flatford mill you might want to look at as well.

Other than that you just have to cross the A12 and head inland for a couple of miles and you will be like a kid in a sweet shop absolutely spoiled for choice.

Again re what Bill said get land owners permission but you should have a great time.

Graham

Asking the permission of a land owner is good advice.

I'm about 6 miles NW of Cambridge and my back garden is well shielded from the few street lights our tiny village has. For the 'Blimey, it's gone clear!' sessions, I'm well served.

However, there is a fen drove directly across the village, that ends at one of the few (relatively) dark points of Cambridgeshire and that puts another couple of miles between me and Cambridge. Being fen edge, it also means views that are as about as unrestricted as you can get, without being on the coast.

Luckily, the owner of that land drinks in the village pub, as do the local pikeys, so nobody is about to get freaked out by the red lights at the 'end of the road'. Or at least, not now I've told them why. All of them think I'm weird though.

Russell

• 2 weeks later...

Archived