1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

Humboldt comes out to play...

Starman

Here's a shot of the crater Humboldt. This lies in the libration zone so the timing has to be right in order to see it. Last night's libration was favourable and the seeing was pretty good too. This image is a mosaic of 11 subframes all taken at f/42 using a C-14.

2007-04-21_19-34-54_Red_Humboldt_flat.jpg

actually are you sure you didnt "borrow" a rocket for a quick trip to the moon :D

I agree with Kai, it looks from the angle like you were in orbit. Incredible detail and an awesome picture.

Thanks for sharing, Martin

A truly awesome piece of work Pete. You certainly are getting the best out of your imaging equipment, and processing technique.

I really do appreciate the quality images that come from this forum. Truly remarkable stuff.

Ron. :D

''Please place your tray tables in the upright position as we shall shortly be landing on the moon'' , great photo.

What photographic equipment are you using for all these images ??

Thanks for the great comments everyone.

The camera that was used is a Lumenera SKYnyx 2-0M which is basically an industrial strength 640x480 webcam equivalent. There ere 11 separate images used for this shot (if I remember right!) caused by the hug size of the crater and the long focal length used. It's only possible to get good results at these sorts of magnifications if the seeing plays ball. On this particular night the seeing was pretty good which made all of the difference.

http://www.lpod.org/?m=20070424

Pete

You seem to have produced a first with this picture.

Quote:

The very strong rim scarp occurs where Humboldt is nearly tangent to the older crater Barnard to the right. In this case, the adjacent crater seems to have been a buttress that supported a larger than normal scarp. Finally, the middle of the three craters on the farside of Humboldt’s floor is a famous concentric crater. Pete’s image is the only Earth-based view that I am aware of that hints at the existence of the inner donut.