Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SKTWATCHER 250PX FLEXTUBE GO-TO

SKYLINER-250PX FLEXTUBE SYNSCAN GO-TO SKYLINER-250PX FLEXTUBE SYNSCAN GO-TO.

I have seen this telescope advertised,but no user reviews.Has anyone any knowledge or views on this telescope.It does seem to be a step towards the do everything telescope.

They're smashing - nice big aperture and goto takes all the effort out of finding stuff. However they are a bit quirky from what I've seen. Mine is fine but it seems a bit hit and miss as to wether you get one that doesn't require some attention. I've come across one or two where replacement encoders were necessary.

Of course no one reads the manual so there's the usual "beginner alignment" problems. And there's a little backlash in the motors which can be tuned out using the goto handset. But once they are set up and running right they are awesome. Pay attention to collimation too - it makes all the difference, and I'm considering flocking my 300P Flextube.

It will align and track with no problem and stays on target with no drift for a good 35mins - even then drift is barely noticeable and easilly fixed with a small tweak. Keep the alignment stars in a third of the sky and use the PAE regularly and it never fails. They do need a little balancing in Alt and sometimes smoothing in Az - but otherwise brilliant :)

IMHO, a great scope. I started out with a SW150PL on an EQ3 mount and moved to the SW250PX goto earlier this year. After having a manual scope, and having read some of the problems with alignment, I was a bit apprehensive to start with. However, the two star alignment is really easy and you’re off and running in 5 minutes. Collimation is also something I’ve needed to get used to, however with practice it’s a two minute job, Bob’s Knobs is a must. The focuser is smooth and easy to use without too much play, especially compared to the R&P on the 150PL. As it’s goto you get to see far more in a session (which are few and far between in the UK), I must admit that I go manual sometimes just to use some of the knowledge I gained on the old scope. The views are just great, the M57 in my old scope was a small smudge but now I can make out structure and can even see some colour and I can spend a whole night just going through Cassiopeia’s double stars and clusters. The only slight negative is it’s a bit heavy. As I’m not interested in astrophotography I can’t see me changing for years to come.

Good luck

Paul

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I know this is an old post, but looking to upgrade and found this description of what it can do.  is it true

quote "The patented dual-encoder design allows you to manually move the telescope anytime and to anywhere you wish - with no need for realignment. Slewing to an object on the opposite side of the night sky no longer feels like watching a kettle boil. Simply push the tube close to the object and let the computer do the rest of the work. "

Hi,

I know this is an old post, but looking to upgrade and found this description of what it can do.  is it true

quote "The patented dual-encoder design allows you to manually move the telescope anytime and to anywhere you wish - with no need for realignment. Slewing to an object on the opposite side of the night sky no longer feels like watching a kettle boil. Simply push the tube close to the object and let the computer do the rest of the work. "

Yep - it certainly does.

I was out on Saturday night for quite a few hours and as the power was getting low I started puching it around instead of using the motors and when I centred an object it just picked up the tracking again without any issue.

And it's a really great scope. :D

• 3 years later...

Richard,

The base diameter = 53cm.

You can star hop manually, but the max slew rate is fairly fast, so I tend to use the handset.

2-star/brightest star alignment is easy, and when done, you can go for tea, and come back with the same object near the centre of a 25mm eyepiece.

The mount takes more current than the equivalent 127mm tripod-mounted MCT (127mm current in brackets):- Standby before alignment = 130mA (90mA), Tracking 530 to 620mA (160mA), Slew both axes max rate 850mA (350mA). A bit expensive to run off Alkaline batteries. I tend to use a 12V 2A plug-top mains supply, but a power tank/car jump starter pack, should be good for several hours observing.

Geoff

Archived