Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Upgrading my focuser - 200p Advice Welcome

Hey all,

I would like to upgrade the focuser on my 200p Dob. I believe the one it has currently is a Dual fit crayford?

I would like something better made and with dual speeds. I think I am right in thinking all of these would do:

First Light Optics - Dual-speed Crayford 1.25/2 inch focuser for Skywatcher Explorer

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Dual-Speed Low Profile 1.25/2 inch Crayford Focuser

Revelation Newtonian Crayford Focuser Dual Speed

Is it just a straight swap, and do you have any other advise?

Thanks,

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Adam, it looks like the Skywatcher Dual speed Low Profile is one that is a direct fit although I am no expect here, interestingly I am about to acquire the same scope and may do the same thing in the near future so will be interested in other comments on this thread.

Alan feel free to ask me any questions, I would like to think I really know the scope inside and out now :) I have made lots of mods etc.

Observing Jupiter with it last night was a complete revelation! A masterful viewing experience way above anything I have had before. The scope still continues to surprise me! Check out my recent observing report from last night if you like.

Hemihaggis I though Moonlites were mainly for photographical purposes? Quite expensive compared to anything else, even if there is reason for it.

Don't know about Moonlite's for use on a dob but I do have one on my cpc 925 and its superb although I only wanted a precise focuser that would negate any image shift as the one that comes with it did give a fair bit of that. They are a nice bit of kit albeit a bit expensive :)

Thanks for your offer Adam :(

First thought : if you get a low profile one, you WILL need an extension tube for your eyepieces.

Second though : non SW ones will need a wider baseplate to cover the hole left behind by the old massive focuser. These are hard to source.

Thanks Kheldar I dont like the thought of an extension tube to add to things. I guess the only one to consider for me then is the skywatcher dual speed non low profile one.

Nothing wrong with a quality 2" extension tube :) The revelation in your first post requires a 35mm tube to focus most eyepieces. These can be had for about £19 new.

If you just want finer control, why not just add an auto-focuser. Gives fine control to the single speed crayford at a fraction of the price. I use one and it makes a lot of difference:

First Light Optics - SkyWatcher Auto Focuser

Mark

These can be a little quick on the focus for some peoples taste. While I didn't find it that big of a deal I still chose to mod mine to allow even finer adjustment. I have one on my 250 PX and I wouldn't be with out it. I have not found any need to change the batteries yet but you would have to keep a spare set as you cannot manually focus with one fitted to your focuser. The advantage I found is 1) you don't have to physically touch the OTA so keeping vibrations to a minimum and 2) with the mod you can get the focus spot on. The downside is if you don't have parafocal EP's it can become a little tedious between EP changes.

I do have a Moonlite CR2 fitted to my 200p (dob mounted at the moment), which was a little bit of a faf to fit as I had to very slightly enlarge a couple of the mounting holes. It works wonderfully, well I guess if it should considering how much it cost, gulp! (I was rich at the time, er, not now!)

I think if I had to choose again I would probably go for the Dual Speed Crayford one from FLO - I don't think they where available at the time I went bonkers and bought the Moonlite.

Doc

I do have a Moonlite CR2 fitted to my 200p (dob mounted at the moment), which was a little bit of a faf to fit as I had to very slightly enlarge a couple of the mounting holes. It works wonderfully, well I guess if it should considering how much it cost, gulp! (I was rich at the time, er, not now!)

I think if I had to choose again I would probably go for the Dual Speed Crayford one from FLO - I don't think they where available at the time I went bonkers and bought the Moonlite.

Doc

The moonlite is in a different league to the dual speed crayford :) But then again you do need a mortgage for one!

If you haven't already been persuaded otherwise, I've fitted the low-profile dual speed crayford from FLO to a 200p eq5. This was largely because I couldn't get enough inward travel to focus my camera.

The added bonus is I can use the 1.25" barrel and 2" ring adapter from the standard skywatcher focuser, place it in the Crayford, which then acts as the extension tube for visual observing. No need for an extra purchase, which I thought I would need.

More than happy with the purchase, it just screams quality compared to the standard focuser. Easy to install too. Straight swap, with no modification needed.

The only gripe, and it is minor; there is a small gap between the focuser baseplate and the OTA, which theortically can let in a little bit of light, although I've not noticed it affect my viewing. Though it is easy to overcome by using a little bit of foam from the packing in the box to wedge under the baseplate if it worries the user.

Can't offer advice on the others mentioned, other than the low-profile should be considered. If astrophotography is not important to you, there are cheaper focusers.

*Edit* Also, Adz, how was the OU course? I was thinking of joining one myself.

Contrary to what Kh3ldar mentioned; the added bonus is I can use the 1.25" barrel and 2" ring adapter from the standard skywatcher focuser, place it in the Crayford, which then acts as the extension tube for visual observing. No need for an extra purchase, which I thought I would need.

That's not contrary, that's agreeing - I said an extension tube would be needed for low profile focusers.

I was also referring to the Revelation, which will not take the 2" adaptors from the stock SW focuser as it's tapered :)

That's not contrary, that's agreeing - I said an extension tube would be needed for low profile focusers.

I was also referring to the Revelation, which will not take the 2" adaptors from the stock SW focuser as it's tapered :)

I misunderstood Adz's reply and thought you implied an additional purchase of an extension tube.

I realised too late after I hit the post button. Apologies. :)

The added bonus is I can use the 1.25" barrel and 2" ring adapter from the standard skywatcher focuser, place it in the Crayford, which then acts as the extension tube for visual observing. No need for an extra purchase, which I thought I would need.

More than happy with the purchase, it just screams quality compared to the standard focuser. Easy to install too. Straight swap, with no modification needed.

The only gripe, and it is minor; there is a small gap between the focuser baseplate and the OTA, which theortically can let in a little bit of light, although I've not noticed it affect my viewing. Though it is easy to overcome by using a little bit of foam from the packing in the box to wedge under the baseplate if it worries the user.

Agree with the above although there is some image shift when tightening the focus lock but have found no problems with this after my initial concerns.

I used a bit of foam from my camping mat left over from making the dew shield to fill in the gaps from the focuser baseplate to OTA and that seems to work fine.

Thanks really helpful information to read up on. I am in no rush to get one, might ask for one for my birthday but I have a bit of time.

The OU course was Introducing Astronomy. It was great, covering a wealth of scientific knowledge from sun structure to cosmology. I passed thank the heavens, but I did find the tutors unhelpful and the lack of any certificate or recognition afterwards quite disappointing.

Archived