SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Easy LRGB Planetary Processing in Registax

Odd Dob is a genius!

Here is his method for LRGB combining in Registax, from a PM he sent me: -

It does seem a very poorly documented feature, doesn't?

This is what I did:

1. Record .avi's for each of LRGB. I saved these seperate AVIs with this kind of format:

jupiter-001.avi

jupiter-002.avi

jupiter-003.avi

jupiter-004.avi

each one number corresponding to a filter.

2. I analysed each of these *separately* in registax, to produce a single .FIT file for each avi (i.e. a FIT file for each LRGB filter). These I save with different kind of file name format

jupiter_L.fit

jupiter_R.fit

jupiter_G.fit

jupiter_B.fit

by doing this separately, I mean I load up each AVI individually and complete the processing and save the result before loading the next one. I found it important to be quite conservative with the wavelet functions at this stage - any noise introduced can be problematical in the next stage.

3. Now the clever bit. Open each one of the .FIT files you created in one go. I.e. when you get the open file dialogue, select all of the in one go by holding down CTRL and clicking each one. I think it's got something to do with using the _L _R etc in the file names that enables Registrax to know which one is which. Now just do the stacking process as usual. The end result magically ends up in colour!

A word of caution. You don't seem to have a very clear way of controlling the combination of the layers. It does seem quite intelligent but noise introduced at the initial processing seems to make it worse, can you can get some very weird results :). You'll also need to crop your pictures quite a lot as a lot of colour noise gets introduced at the margins.

I have no idea if this is the "best" way to do it, but it worked for me.

Good luck!

(do us a favour and cut and paste this to the thread, ta!)

I'll be giving this a go next time there is a clear night.

Thank you sir!

Edited by Andrew*
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It blummin works!

Thanks Odd Dob.

Jupiter_ST1.jpg

Not the best as it was my first attempt at RGB imaging and I forgot to capture a L image. Seeing was awful! Although the days were sunny, the nights were moisture laden, to the effect that the sky was orange from London. Finally, in my long list of poor excuses, my scope was way out of collimation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Im finding that it works fine until the Wavelets then the image just vanishes.

saving the image in the stack stage creates a further 3 R, G and B images which can be then loaded in again and will go through to the wavelet stage.

Edited by Earl

• 5 months later...

You could probably import the four LRGB files into Aladin which would give you much more control. With Aladin you can fade images into one another which would come in handy if you wanted to tone the red layer down a bit, and so on.

Aladin seems pretty cool, been using it as part of my OpenUni course. :(

Edited by ronnietucker

• 5 years later...