Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Lux1

Babies, budgets, spare time and astromony.

My wife and I are about to adopt a baby as we have never been able to have our own children.

I am really looking forward to this new chapter and start in life, however will I ever get the time to go out 'gazing anymore?

I have heard people say, - "oh well I sold all my equipment when we had a family and came back to it at retirement...."

Anyone have young children but still manages to find the time to observe?

Define young. I have an eight year old son and a six year old daughter and they love being able to use the scopes, though we've mostly stuck with solar observing through the summer because of the length of the day.

James

First off well done on your decision we could do with a lot more couples like you to get the masses of children out of homes and into a loving family enviroment.

So for that sir I take my hat off to you.

Secondly why stop just think what you can share with your child.

I wish my parents had been into this hobby I could have started 45 years ago.

Just imagine what knowalge I could have amassed in all those wasted years.

No keep it going it will only enrich your new comers life.

All the best

Graham

Edited by steelfixer

Firstly, congratulations on your decision and I hope all goes well with your plans. The last couple of days aside, the weather this year has been so poor, offering so few nights to do any observing that you could have adopted another three and not known the difference! :)

It is bound to have an effect on your time but also on any budget for any future upgrades etc which will now have to take a back seat. As they say, the stars aren't going anywhere and in any case, you're going to have a little star of your own to look at so all is not lost. :(:D

Clear skies

James

Edited by JamesM

good for you

both of you :)

i have a 2yr old (almost 3) and i have had my telescope for about 2yrs, i found work gets in the way more than a kiddy, you be fine :(

Thanks for all your kind words, SGL members are always so supportive.

Its been a very long and stressful process, but I am definitely looking forward to showing the little one the moon and stars.:)

Congrats, especially after seeing the hoops and rings you have to go through.

Best Wishes to all.

I must admit I did sell up when my son was born, but that helped pay for the loft conversion. I had allot of imaging kit & it was allot of money tied up in something I didn't get the chance to use & I needed the money. My son is now 6 & I've just bought a dob. Both childeren have expressed an interest & once the nights are dark earlier on I think we will have some fun. In hind sight I could of swap my setup for cash & a viewing only setup like I have now. Going forward it's all about priorities, so if the kids are in bed, my girlfriend is happy, my work is done & it's a clear night. Then I'll spend a few hours outside. In the end I've hopefully got many years to go & the stars aren't going anywhere.

What I will say is until the kids where sleeping through the night, I would have no chance of getting on the scope. I was far to tired & simply didn't have the time. However this period only lasted 8 months.

Edited by halo1234

Firstly congratulations and well done on your new memberr of the family. :)

Secondly you should be able to juggle observing as well as kids, I have a 2 y.o and a 3 month year old and while it does take up a good portion of your time and you are worn out at the end of the day I find there is still time of the evenings to do some casual observing if your motivated enough to do so, it really doesn't get in the way too much and as they get older it frees up more time as well.

Don't sell your equipment if you can keep it.

I would say it depends on how much sleep has been had, both parents and child(ren)! If baby is fast asleep but you have only had 2 hours sleep in the past 24, you might not want to venture out even if the skies are crystal clear. Once things have moved on to the stage where enough sleep is had it should be quite easy to find the time to go outside should clouds allow. My little ones are currently waiting for it to be dark before bedtime so they can go "telescoping" with me. Which really means they will be running about in the garden waving one of my red LED torches. So rather than looking through the telescope I will be having to make sure they don't trip up or otherwise end up tangled in the the flowerbeds! But hey, time spent with your children is precious.

dag123

Edited by dag123

Congrats on your first, wont be long before you start pulling your hair out lol. I have a 2 year old and hes in bed for 5.30 so i still get loads of time. And he sleeps 14hrs every night so massive bonus.

I re-sparked my love of astronomy, when my children were 14, 7 and 5 respectively, that was 2 years ago, and they have loved seeing things through the scope.

example

"I popped back in to the house the other night to ask who would like to see M31? to which my now 9yr old daughter replied, what Andromenda?? yes please"!!!"

the smile on my face would have rivalled a Cheshire cat!

Congrats and good luck with the adoption!

The answer is... yes, you'll be fine to continue...

I had all the horror stories about kissing goodbye to my hobbies when my wife was expecting last year, but with our daughter now 13 months old, I only started in astronomy this Jan when she was 6 months old... and have got quite a bit of imaging done.

The good news is, they go to sleep quite early (even if they wake you again later in the night) so I've been heading off to image after she's in bed, and then just done deals with the mrs to do the night feeds etc for a few days after a night out with the stars.

You'll be fine... don't worry!

Ben

Good advice above- I have 5 children and it has never held me back. I found that it made the autumn/winter more appealing as it is definitely difficult to deal with a really late night. Early nights are great. As others have said, the children can get involved too. I was dead pround when my 8 year old daughter was the only girl in her Brownie pack who did the Astronomy badge (including some nice astrophotographs) using a little Meade ETX70.

Don't worry man.

You are going to have a family, not to lose both eyes.:)

In a few years you see the smile your child's face when he or she they look at Saturn for the first time.

My wife and I are about to adopt a baby as we have never been able to have our own children.

I am really looking forward to this new chapter and start in life, however will I ever get the time to go out 'gazing anymore?

I have heard people say, - "oh well I sold all my equipment when we had a family and came back to it at retirement...."

ive got a 2 month old and im still managing to get out so far, although we have not had hte best skys yet (appart from the last weekend or so, which was fab!)

as far as i can tell the wife is happy with the arrangement because im already up to feed baby when its needed.

when the thing starts getting mobile im not so sure how easy it going to be, but at the moment babys and telescopes are working well together

You'll be fine.

We put our lad to bed at 8pm, read a story and he's asleep by 8.30.

I just make sure to pre-book my observing session with my wife, otherwise I get a bit of grief for not spending time with her. So long as I've told her beforehand, I'm ok to be out the door and observing by 9pm.

The only concern to have with young children is that no matter what time they go to bed, you have a guaranteed alarm clock at 6-7am, even on a Sunday. So bear in mind a sensible time to stop observing and get some rest, otherwise buy coffee in bulk - you'll need it :)

The teenage years are the best incentive for stargazing. You'll find them watching rubbish on TV and hogging laptops and iPads all evening long (usually at the same time) so that the only sane thing to do is go outside and ponder the wonders of nature. Then you do some stargazing.

I was out Thursday with my mate for the first time since his 3 month old was born. I had my grab and go 70mm and he his 10x50s. A couple of drinks and a very good time was had. You might not get as many opportunities but that doesn't mean you can't still enjoy it.

I re-sparked my love of astronomy, when my children were 14, 7 and 5 respectively, that was 2 years ago, and they have loved seeing things through the scope.

example

"I popped back in to the house the other night to ask who would like to see M31? to which my now 9yr old daughter replied, what Andromenda?? yes please"!!!"

the smile on my face would have rivalled a Cheshire cat!

I can confirm that interested young minds love astronony and looking through scopes. I don't want to push my hobby onto my kids (10 & 12 years) but they're pleased to come & look at the more spectacular sights like the moon, Jupiter & Saturn.

Edited by laser_jock99

Congratulations on the adoption! You are in for a life changing experience which youll never regret. I've got an 18 month old daughter and I think now's the time to do it, especially if imaging as its a reason not to leave the house. To.give something back to my wife i can take the monitor and deal with any wakeups with zero disturbance for her, unlike when we are both in bed we both get woken.

I'd add that when the parents are relaxed and happy, kids tend to be relaxed and happy themselves. If being happy means looking at stars then that needs to be part of your life. I don't really understand why anyone would suspend all of their interests until the kids grow up - a sure way to go around the bend, I'd have thought?

I made a conscious decision when my oldest was born that I'd carry on doing my normal things (especially things like mountain biking and surfing). I want my kids to grow up thinking that it's normal to go and ride a bike through the woods or spend a day on the beach with surf boards. And that extends to things like astronomy. My 7yr old loves joining in. The 4yr old would like to but doesn't really get what we're doing. And the 6 month old.....) I'd rather that we do things than sit in front of TV all night, as plenty of people seem to do.

As far as budgets are concerned - I've just received my 200 Dob at £271. Peanuts to what some people pay for a TV, satnav that never gets used, or even a handbag. Certainly astronomy (at my level) is far cheaper than my other main interest, bikes. (My back room has my two main mountain bikes which are about £2k each. Lots of spares and other bikes spread around the house as well. I probably don't need another expensive hobby!)

Tonight I'll be riding with my friends for a couple of hours, then a couple of pints, back for 11.30ish. If it's clear then I'll be outside with my new toy until I can stay awake no longer. (I don't work on Fridays, so as long as I can get up with the kids, I'll be forgiven, and besides I've looked after the kids two evenings this week when my wife has been out doing her course, so I'm allowed some R&R!) Compromise and use sense and I always find time to go riding or stargazing even if it does mean keeping weird hours.