Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter 30/09/111st attempt

junior

Ok this is my first attempt at jupiter on the same night i actually managed to get my scope out and see jupiter through it for the first time.

It is an amazing sight even as small as i could view it through my scope.

Now after looking at everyone elses images i am ashamed to post this and ask for advice.

This was taken on the 30/09/11 at around midnight, so conditions were good but Jupiter was still a little low and in the haze.

My scope is stated in the signature below and i got this image using a SPC880 flashed with a 2x barlow, whilst manually tracking and focusing the telescope.

I havent stacked this image or touched it up in registax as the video clip was short and very jumpy from me holding the scope.

Any advice would be appreciated.

junior-albums-spc880-picture13794-jupiter-1st-attempt.jpg

That's a great image given what scope you were using. Regards advice I would say join the dob owners group on the lounge and get some info on dob mods. Smoothing up the AZ movement will help no end. The more steady the avi you have the better the image will be after processing in registax.

Yeah, don't be too hash on yourself. You got it in frame using a camera connected to a dob with a barlow. That I know form experience is not that easy.

Do not underestimate the awesomeness of registax! With an .avi file with enough frames, that thing can produce wonders. Absolutely do not compare what you've got there to what others have posted. Processing is a vital stage. Give it a go and I think you'll be pleasantly suprised.

also just started imaging myself - try getting at least 1000 frames and run through registax6 - good start though you got banding and in the frame which is a challenge itself-took me about 30mins to get it in frame!!!

I bet lots of people start off with images not too far off that, to be honest. Practice will get you a fair way pretty quickly, but it is far from easy to get the kind of images that some people are posting to SGL. I must have put a good fifty hours of imaging in earlier this year before I got something I considered passably satisfactory for a beginner, and that's before processing time.

Stick with it, experiment and learn what works for you. it will improve rapidly.

James

You done alright mate you can see Jupiter's bands :) I was the same but you learn whats right just be patient and keep going:) I be getting a SPC900NC cam this week so I will have to learn again :( but its all good :).........

Well done on your 1st attempt Junior, and don't be too hard on yourself. It's all about learning and practice. Keep at it and you'll soon be amazing yourself what you can achieve.

Lots of great threads on here to read up on for info and of course, there's lots of great imagers who are very friendly too who can give you some sound advice and tips.

i tried imaging jupiter for the first time last week and my results look just like yours and i have a driven eq mount! that is very good to say you used a dob, next time play with camera settings before taking the avi

Not a bad start. A little over exposed, perhaps turn the gain down a touch to begin with or try a faster shutter speed. It's a real juggling act to try to get everything right. A basic wish list might include a tracking mount, a Barlow, and an electric focuser. And as others have said practise and experimenting helps a lot.

You could try running the avi through Castrator before Registax as well

Cheers everyone,

I think getting some sort of tracking option set up will help no end as it will free me up to play with the settings and getting the exposure and focus right. i had to keep one hand on the scope and use my net book in the other whilst remembering everything is in reverse :)

Will definetly have another go when i can, i did get a couple thousand frames with this outing but i cant get them to stack because of the lack of alignment points and the amound of movent there was.

If anyone wants to have a go ill try and remember to upload the avi. file

Thanks again everyone for the confidence boost.

It was extremely difficult to get Jupiter into frame with the set up i have,

Archived