Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_christmas_presents_winners.thumb.jpg.0650e36a94861077374d1ab41812d185.jpg

Yendor

The Moon, My First Time

Well on Saturday I bought my first telescope. Saturday evening I tried in vain to sort it out and actually see something. I was trying to get a glimpse of Jupiter, but alas I didn't have the foggiest idea how to focus it in properly, something was way out of kilter. Anyhows... yesterday Sunday I spent a little time getting the spotting scope aligned correctly and then I turned my attention to focus. I used points on distant houses to get the scope in a fit state to use.

Tonight i saw the moon through my scope and it was absolutely perfect, fine detail every now and then as there was a break in the cloud. So I'm no longer a virgin, Ive drawn first blood. I honestly can't put into words how I feel but it's pretty amazing. One of those never ever forget moments.

Admin please move this post if I shoulda put it somewhere else.

Well congratulations on the new Scope and on breaking the duck

Had my new scope for a while now but everytime i uncover it goes cloudy or rains.

Managed a few glimpses at the moon and of Jupiter........

Have fun

Simon

Is some sight when you see it up close and personal, like us all I too had that astounded feeling when I first observed it :)

Edited by Nexus 6

Thanks for the replies, it's a couple of days on and still astounded by those first views. Hopefully I will get a chance at the weekend to use it, down to the weather I guess. :-)

Used my newish scope on the Moon Wed night for the first time and was amazed by what I could see ,I also used my new Williams Binoviewers and this made it an experience I will long remember. Since then clouds more clouds and a forecast of thunderstorms for the next three days:(.

Well here in sunny Tamworth it's looking very good at the moment, I do hope the skies stay clear, Ive got Moon Fever

I guess that observing Moon was a first-time moment for most of us. It really is a wonderful sight first time round. When my girlfriend first saw it, she got so caught up she occupied the eyepiece for an hour, mumbling something about astronatus' footsteps :) So that is one down and countless more for you to go through! Enjoy

I need to buy a better moon filter, I bought mine off fleabay, say no more!!

hi yendor ,another great moon fan like my self,i love the moon ,the windy night was crazy blow in the 12"tube all over the place.the moon was very crispy had every filter go in last night she was soooooooo bright my past year of the moon and i still love to look at it

I'm really pleased there's at least 1 other fan of the moon LOL. I darn well missed it last night (FELL ASLEEP< LONG WEEK AT WORK & WINE) so Im a bit miffed with myself. Still there will be other nights.

I have yet to buy filters etc, I'm pleased with my scope and eyepeices so far because my concerns about my short sightedness and astigmatism. Well suffice it to say I can see perfectly through the scope, its just wonderous. I have to learn so much, so I will need filters I guess to improve contrast etc? because of the brightness? I want to learn also the names of what Im looking at on the moon and then obviously planets and star info. Gosh what a long happy road lies ahead. Winter Nights cant wait!!!