Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My best Jupiter image to date using skymax 127 + animation

bigal1

Hi all well after a long weekend imaging thanks to the good spell of weather in the uk i've finally managed to get through all my data . This is the best image from 3 nights work and the best i have managed so far since i started out a few years ago ( still with the same scope ) Conditions on the night this image was captured may have been the best i have experienced for about a few hours which lucky for me was when i was out :) . Equipment used was a Skywatcher Skymax 127 mak , Orion shorty plus 2x barlow + extension tube and a Philips SPC 900nc webcam all mounted on a CG-4 with motors . The final image was a stack of 2500 frames out of a total of 3000 frames captured on Sharpcap at 10fps , with the remaining images from that nights session ( friday ) i made a 17 frame animation each sub frame consisting of 2500 images stacked . I then reduced the size of each frame just to sharpen things up a bit as some of the earlier and later frames was not as good as others .

Regards Alan

Jupiter-animation-small3-01-10-2011.gif

post-18835-133877671548_thumb.jpg

Absolutely excellent. It's somewhat galling how much I struggle to get anywhere near that with exactly the same kit. Bags more practice required, I think.

James

Snap, though I can only assume it's largely down to seeing conditions as I've had a fair bit of Jupiter practice myself.

Fascinating images there!

Alan,

A great animation and photo - obviously many hours of work!!

I have a 127 and I am only 7 months into astronomy - I am looking at trying afocal imaging using a digiscoping mount I have been given but I harbour a wish for more ambitious imaging as I progress.

It is great to see what can be achieved with the 127 - many thanks for sharing - a great inspiration!!

Absolutely excellent. It's somewhat galling how much I struggle to get anywhere near that with exactly the same kit. Bags more practice required, I think.

James

Seconded. (It's even more galling when I can't get close to this with a 150 Mak...:))

• 5 years later...

Excellent work, Alan. One of the coolest Jupiter animations I've seen in a while! Great imaging!                                                                         Regards,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Reggie

That's a very nice capture, and i love the animation. Very nice and clear. :)

May i ask, you have a 1500mm scope, 2x barlow, so we're at 3000mm. But you also use extension tube, so about what effective focal length would you say you were imaging at?
I'm looking for a new barlow for my explorer 200, which is a 1000mm f/5 scope, but i can't quite decide if i should go for a televue 3x barlow or a 5x powermate. My seeing conditions are mostly very poor, so i'm fried if i get the 5x i won't be able to use it much, and if i get the 3x i can still get 5x with a 100mm extension tube, so i'm leaning towards the 3x option.

Archived