Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Fo defs my best Jupiter (and first GRS)

teh_orph

Hello guys

sorry about another Jupiter, but I figured I'd only add it to the list as I'm so pleased to finally see the great red spot!

I think I've come a long way...with the same kit! SW 130P, double-stacked barlows (SW + Celestron Ultima), PS3 PSEye camera.

Here's my take from last year:

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-planetary/111388-jupiter-through-pseye-ps3-camera.html

...and here's from midnight Friday night/Sat morning. I clocked a dark mark on the surface which I took to be the GRS. After stacking it I completely missed seeing the GRS (which came out a lot lighter than I expected). The dark mark is clear in the finished image, which is a combination of infrared and RGB. Io can be seen on the left.

jupgrs4upload.png

Thanks for looking

Simon

Yes Nathan, I use the software to do fine focussing. I have a home-made Bahtinov mask too but this often dims the image too much for stars and doesn't work too well on something so large as a planet!

I'd definitely recommend using the camera but I see that you have a QHY5 so I'd imagine aren't after a webcam :)

Ah I've got one of those too! I much prefer the PSEye to be honest. The compression artefacts are annoying (PSEye is uncompressed) and there's a much higher green noise level IMO. I find I get much cleaner looking pictures with this camera. The infrared response seems much better with the Philips though. Finally when using the Philips beyond a certain capture frequency the spatial resolution is actually halved (but it doesn't tell you) in order to still be able to fit the data down USB 1.

Archived