Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep3_banner.thumb.jpg.5533fb830ae914798f4dbbdd2c8a5853.jpg

vds

First attempt at M31

Hello all :)

The last couple of glorious nights have let me try M31. This was almost 2 hours of 2 minute subs unguided, with some darks and flats. Not sure about whether I am processing adequately, and I think I need to switch to RAW as the jpg format seems to leave me with some artefacts in DSS.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any comments on how to improve it. I intend to try and gather some more data over the next couple of nights.

vds

post-23980-133877670058_thumb.jpg

I think you are processing just about adequately!! Exellent image. Certainly use RAW if you can - I always set the camera to RAW+JPEG so I can have a quick look at the subs as they come in - useful if there are any problems!

Golden rule - always use raw as jpg compresses and you loose all your hard photon gathering time and there is no way to undo the compression.

I think this is a great effort - well done. I like how vibrant and sharp it seems on first viewing, catch's the eye :-)

David

Brilliant really nice image well done I am going to have to try harder on this one.. no chance tonight though thick fog has moved in. Oh well cant complain we have had a good run of clear nights.

Thanks for the comments guys. 2 minute subs are pushing it a bit on my mount and tripod but I managed to get another hour of them last night and will try for some more tonight if the clouds stay away.

The scope is my SW ED80 with a SW 0.85 reducer. The reducer is essential really, otherwise M31 refuses to fit on the sensor of my canon.

vds

Nice image. Definitely worth shooting in RAW though... and on cooler nights in the winter you'll get a much better signal to noise ratio as well.

Good work.

What were the camera settings by the way iso speed aperture. I took 95shots at an iso of 800 and 40 seconds and still not getting the outer lanes coming through :-(

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk