Narrowband

16 hours high res on M33 Triangulum Galaxy

Catanonia

What a lovely few clear moonless nights we have all had (I hope). Well deserved and too good an opportunity not to re-visit a target I haven't really imaged all that much.

M33 Triangulum galaxy just about fits into the Skywatcher MN190 1000mm focal length and I really wanted to get some deep imaging of this wonderful galaxy.

So all set up for 8 minute subs unbinned with the MN190 and QHY9 mono + 2 inch filter wheels. Guiding was set with the TS OAG and QHY5 and I left if running for 2.5 nights. So in total over 16 hours of LRGB data gained in the two and a half nights.

The nice thing about M33 was that I could start imaging at 11pm when it appeared over the house and leave it all night till dawn as the meridian flip wasn't needed as the scope just missed the tripod legs :)

It has taken about 2 hours to process with PixInsight and CS5 with darks and flats applied to the channels.

I am very pleased with the result and comparisons to others on the web. I seem to have got right into the core detail of the centre of the galaxy and hopefully got the colours right. This time I put my trust in the PI colour calibration routines rather than do it by hand and eye.

The full sized image can be seen here

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10801850/Astro%20Pictures/Large%20Files/M33%2016Hours%20LRGB%20MN190.jpg (4mb download)

The full sized image so shows some smaller and fainter galaxies hidding behind M33

I have also noticed a "bubble" in the outer arms of M33 which I have blown up to show. I never seen this before and I am doing some searching on the web to find out what it is. Has anyone else captured this nebula bubble before ?

Also attached is the image I did last year for comparison. I think I have improved a bit :p

I hope you like them, many thanks

Cat

post-16631-133877669905_thumb.jpg

post-16631-133877669913_thumb.jpg

post-16631-133877669921_thumb.jpg

Thanks all.

Since my imaging of M57 done on the same nights was disapointing, I am re-visiting this data to try and make it better. Many things in PI I rushed and didn't take my time on. Hopefully I can make it better.

Archived