DSLR Ha Images

ashworthacca

The last couple of nights have been clear (Hooray:p) so I thought I would give my 12mn Ha filter a workout in my modified Canon 1000d.

A couple of issues.

1. On the Elephant and Bubble nebulas I haven't got enough data......both crossed the meridian and I lost an hour or so subs on both as I was in the house watching TV:iamwithstupid:
  2. I don't really know how to process Ha images from a DSLR as this is my first foray into Ha.
  3. Not enough data captured (by far) so the images are very noisy.:)

I stacked as normal with Nebulosity 2, opened in Pixinsight and extracted the Red Channel. Processed in Pixinsight and Photoshop.

Here is what I have so far but do intend to add much more data, weather permitting:)

6194772117_5df53ca08b_b.jpg

Gamma Cygni (Sadr) Region by ashworthacca, on Flickr

6197498257_8b9bb1d3e8_b.jpg

Elephant Nebula by ashworthacca, on Flickr

6197494545_1bc9dac46a_b.jpg

Bubble Nebula by ashworthacca, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

These look good for DSLR Ha images. I have always found noise to be a problem though with Ha, even with my Heart and Soul, with excess of 8 hours, it still seemed a little noisy for me.

Someone did explain something to me about Ha and a DSLR which did make sense and explained a lot. As you only capture on the red pixels, you only get 1/4 of the signal. It was then said that perceived noise can be a problem as you in effect have 3 out of 4 pixels with NO data in them at all. So, you can't really work with nothing - If that makes sense.

Maybe that is wrong. but it seemed to make sense in my mind.

If what I said is true, the I guess you would need at least 4 x more data, then you stand a chance of getting signal in the other 3 pixels!!! I'm sure it's really not that straight forward, but like you, it made sense!

Although a 400x400 sensor colour camera will have only 100x100 red pixels, the others are interpolated so not missing completely. Destroying the G and B channels will not make a difference to this.

OK, cheers for that - I thought it was way to simple for me to understand before!!

Hi martin,

I was thinking of trying the Ha/O111 clip filter in my modded 450d camera.

So i will watch your progress with interest.

Just a thought, did you have to alter the camera settings ie. white balance. picture style. iso. to get the best possible image?

ATB

martyn

Archived