Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The South Wales Lounge

garethmob

Tomorrow, I will be in school for the partial eclipse. I'm not panicking though because I'm still going to be able to watch it from school (if it isn't clouded out). My first two lessons are Chemistry, so our teacher is more than happy to take us out on to the field to watch it. Furthermore one of the Physics teachers is brining in their telescope to project the event. I have also been given permission by my teacher to skip the class to go see it! However, I'm instead going to have my mother take me up with my telescope early so that There will be two telescopes available to use (I'll still be standing guard at my telescopes at all times though). At any rate, it should be an interesting day!

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Anthony,

Its great that your school's teachers are on board with the Solar event, and nice that you can bring your equipment to share the experience with your classmates.  It just might get some of them interested in the hobby, and that would be a good thing.  I'll also be doing projection, with a small refractor the old fashoned way.

Wishing everyone clear skies in the morning ! 

post-21902-0-14076100-1426780909_thumb.j

• 2 months later...

Hi Pat,

Thanks, and hope all is well with you and yours.  Although it was good to see some old friends again, Dorothy & I are glad to be back.  Looks like my body clock is going to be on California time for a while, and that's a good thing with regards to Astronomy; I couldn't get to sleep until the early hours of this morning.  Didn't get to do much observing as I made the mistake of packing up the most important items for the move first, which included our 3" refractor. Now, how dumb was that ?  No worries though, its on its way to Wales by freighter. 

:clock:  :smile:  

• 3 weeks later...

hi and welcome to our Welsh section , a meet had to be called off for tonight ( cloud) and we will try tomorrow check the thread in the afternoon for a "GO or NO GO" the lat/long is posted to find your way to the site that we use

Lenny

Hello Moon-Watcher, and welcome to the South Wales Group forum.

Not much happening at the moment due to weather conditions. The dark nights have faded fast as summer has approached, and for many of us, an hour or two observing in the latter part of the night is going to be about as good as it gets; however, observing the Moon is still an option.  On another thread, Mr. Flibble (David) has mentioned meeting up for a Lunar observing session if there is enough interest. To start, this would most likely be on a short notice basis to take advantage of favourable weather predictions, as some in the group have to travel far to reach the Blaenavon site.

All seems quiet on the observing front. Been cloudy all day in my neck of the woods, and doesn't look any better for this evening. Spent the day on an excavator digging out my back garden and wheel-barrowing the spoils out through our house; not the one I'm presently living in fortunately. :grin:

For the last hour or so I've been looking at gear for sale on different sites, and considering most all of our equipment has been sitting idle for some time, I have no idea why I would need or would want to buy another scope, :icon_scratch:  but I think I did  ? ? ?  Guess I'll find out later if my reply was accepted.

My Wife said I should chalk it up either to fatigue or Lunar cy.   :confused2:  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looking clear out there at the moment near Bridgend. Hope it stays this way so can have a play with the new (my first ever) scope, Heritage 90 virtuoso. Think i managed to line up the red dot finder (seriously thinking about changing it to a Rigel or maybe a 6x30 raci as struggle with that red dot thing). No idea what to look for tho, i know saturn is to the south but a street light right in the way. May just try m31 or do the usual point and look at random things and see if i get lucky. Really need to find a local club to suck up some knowledge/advice as well, i find you can read 'how to' books from now until the end of time but i find i learn better by doing.

Cheers Stuart, i have a streetlight blocking the view to Saturn so will have to give that one a miss but will see if i can find m3 and wild duck with the aid of stellarium. Thanks for the tips :)

As usual, just popped out with the dogs and noticed the clouds started to roll in, always the way.

Archived