Narrowband

The South Wales Lounge

garethmob

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I have a couple of Bar-B-Que covers for scope use, I reciently noticed that when the roofing contractor was prepping for slate installation, that they were using an additional lightweight, waterproof, and breatheable membrane under the slates; this got me to thinking, " it might be good material for a scope cover " ?

I have a small end of roll piece to experiment with. Here is a photo of the product. . . . .

EDIT: Click on photo to enlarge.

post-21902-0-32757500-1344712669_thumb.j

Funny thing but my brother in law was telling me on our holidays he's planning a business venture starting up a target shooting range and archery centre just outside Caerphilly - very early days I think but quite a coincidence none the less.

If it goes ahead steve i will definately pop along, i used to do a lot of archery and shooting when i was in the scouts/cadets and it was one of those things i wanted to get into but never found time ( bit like astronomy :grin: ),but it would be nice to have another hobby i could do throught he summer months.

Mat,

I lived, ate, and breathed archery for most of my life; target shooting & hunting. Been out of the sport for about a decade now, but would like to get back into target shooting.

Still have my equipment ( overseas) but will need to catch up on technology and acquire a Bow of lighter draw weight, most of my gear was designed for putting meat on the table.

Steve,

Interesting coincidence yes, I just ran into an aquaintence who I haven't seen in awhile, and he is also planning to build a range, on the thirtyfive acres he has up in Brecon.

I was just thinking that Gordon - whats the thing with target shooting / archery with astronomers - perhaps its the trained eye or something. There is a range already in Croespenmaen Matt but not sure whether its just clay pigeon to be honest - yet another branch of the target shooting sports fraternity I guess- its quite diverse when you look into t actually.

Hi Steve, I thinks it's the optic understanding of exit pupil, eye relief etc and of course a steady hand and even breathing control at higher magnifications etc.

FT as its generally referred to as has a competition element to it too, I haven't got that far yet but am trying to decide my next scope up-grade

Still have my equipment ( overseas) but will need to catch up on technology and acquire a Bow of lighter draw weight.

One thing I have never understood is why people keep some of their belongings overseas. Why do you do it? You very rarely get to use it and you have to pay for transport each time you want to do so.

One thing I have never understood is why people keep some of their belongings overseas. Why do you do it? You very rarely get to use it and you have to pay for transport each time you want to do so.

Hi Ant,

It's because I also have a home in California.

I was just thinking that Gordon - whats the thing with target shooting / archery with astronomers - perhaps its the trained eye or something. There is a range already in Croespenmaen Matt but not sure whether its just clay pigeon to be honest - yet another branch of the target shooting sports fraternity I guess- its quite diverse when you look into t actually.

I might pop over in the morning ive always fancied having a crack at clay pigeon shooting

OK, but why do you keep the telescope in the California home rather than the British one?

I have telescopes in Wales, I've had them at the Blaenavon site on the two occasions where I spoke to you and your dad.

When in the UK, I purchase what I need here "if its available", which is good for the economy, and also in the long run more economical; shipping costs nowadays have become expensive.

• 5 months later...

Thought I'd bump this thread, rather than start a new one for this post.

I haven't plotted an Asteroid before, so not sure if I'm doing it right, but thought I'd take a shot at it.

From the information I was able to find on Meteor 2012-DA14, I came up with this. . . . . .

The meteor should be in the vicinity of LEO on Friday Feb.15th, between Denebola & Zosma heading towards polaris starting at 21:02 below the tail of Denebola, and passing Zosma at 21:05 on its path toward Polaris.

If this is right and the sky is clear, I think this might be the easiest location to spot it; I've drawn up a sketch of the path.

Any thoughts ?

Click on photo to enlarge.

post-21902-0-35350200-1360505874_thumb.j

For once my North facing back garden might work in my favour here - I plan to observe between 9.30 and 10 when the asteroid should be crossing the Plough handle according to sky at night.. Keep the info coming though guys- magnitue +7 I believe so should be fairly easily spotted with a widefield lens clouds permitting.

Well, I said I would, but doesn't look that easy to do. Not sure if it is even possible. I will have another play tonight when I get in and let you know!

Thanks Rhys,

The more info we gather, the better our chances. It would be good to have several locations

and times plotted in case of cloud cover at in oppertune moments.

Cheers.

For once my North facing back garden might work in my favour here - I plan to observe between 9.30 and 10 when the asteroid should be crossing the Plough handle according to sky at night.. Keep the info coming though guys- magnitue +7 I believe so should be fairly easily spotted with a widefield lens clouds permitting.

Hi Steve,

The meteor should cross the Plough handle between Alioth & Megrez at 21:30

I hope to catch it earlier at a lower magnitude.

This is the comet data from Cardiff. I have supplied a table of times and magnitudes, and the chart will tell you where it is. If anyone wants the same for a different location, let me know, I'll have a go!

Hope this helps

2012 DA14 - Cardiff, UK

Date mag Alt Azim

---- --- ------ ------

15 Feb 2013 18 8.3 4.99 40.84

15 Feb 2013 19 9.1 25.60 37.54

15 Feb 2013 20 9.9 38.40 33.02

15 Feb 2013 21 10.5 46.06 27.71

15 Feb 2013 22 11.1 50.50 22.20

15 Feb 2013 23 11.5 52.93 17.07

16 Feb 2013 11.9 54.11 12.74

2012 DA14 Trail Cardiff.tiff

Reformatted - easier to read. And yes, I did mean asteroid, not comet!

2012 DA14 - Cardiff, UK

Date mag Alt Azim

---- --- ------ ------

15 Feb 2013 18 8.3 4.99 40.84

15 Feb 2013 19 9.1 25.60 37.54

15 Feb 2013 20 9.9 38.40 33.02

15 Feb 2013 21 10.5 46.06 27.71

15 Feb 2013 22 11.1 50.50 22.20

15 Feb 2013 23 11.5 52.93 17.07

16 Feb 2013 11.9 54.11 12.74

Archived