Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The South Wales Lounge

garethmob

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

Thanks Pat,  there were clear skies most nights on the other side of the pond, but no telescope along for the trip, so we enjoyed our evenings under the stars the best we could. Here is a photo I took at 4:am one morning.  

PICT0008 (Small).JPG

• 1 month later...

Not been here much this year. So some catching up to do.

Just finished an astronomy course in croesyceiliog community college.  No formal qualification but a great chance to meet others of the same mind each week.  Will probably go back in September.

I've been updating my website with some new pics from my light polluted window on the universe. https://sites.google.com/site/andrewsastropics/

My latest project is designed to get me away from the light pollution so I've just completed construction of a field battery/power tank.

Have also put some images into the camera club for a night sky competition.

Looking for clear skies.

• 6 months later...

Just had a rather surreal conversation with Dr. Paul Abel of Sky at Night. He's a lecturer here at Leicester University and I wanted to thank him for name dropping the place when I met him a few years back. I also showed him a book I've acquired which has "Stolen by Patrick Moore" written on the inside cover. He confirmed that the writing wasn't his but did tell me that Sir Patrick once said that, if he had done a course at uni, it would've been geology. We also talked about the Ashen lights on account of his latest S@N article. 

• 4 weeks later...

Catching up after being away for awhile. The weather overseas was pretty bad with little opportunity for observing. Hopefully conditions will improve on this side of the pond as I'm eager to enjoy another sleepless night with my scope once again. :wink:

• 1 month later...

Hi Mike- just checking in - I haven't had my scope out for some time- as the kids moved back in and all my equipment is buried for a while - I've got good intentions to get going again next year when hopefully everything will have returned to normal at home whatever that is - I haven't been to Blaenavon for quite some time so will be good to eventually catch up and probably meet some new faces - glad to see you still here :0)

• 5 weeks later...

Thought I'd chime in.  It's been awhile since I've set a scope up for an evening under the stars. Conditions in my neck of the woods have not been cooperative. How are other group members doing out there ?

Im starting building my obsy next week so expect a summer of rain mike ☺.Ive not been out for over a year ive got a herniated disc so its made things difficult but a c11 in a obsy will make things easier.

42 minutes ago, Matthew said:

Im starting building my obsy next week so expect a summer of rain mike ☺.Ive not been out for over a year ive got a herniated disc so its made things difficult but a c11 in a obsy will make things easier.

Good to see you Matthew :hello2:  but sorry about the herniated disc!

Great news on the Obs - don't forget gate runners and wheels for the roof:wink2:

Helen

31 minutes ago, Helen said:

Good to see you Matthew :hello2:  but sorry about the herniated disc!

Great news on the Obs - don't forget gate runners and wheels for the roof:wink2:

Helen

Thanks Helen,the dodgey disc has complicated things for a while but im on the mend slowly. 

I'm at the base stage at the moment and i have to finish the base for the summer house at the same time but i will be looking for some decent wheels and runners shortly..... where did you source yours ?

Hi Matt, good to hear from you and know your still kicking along. :smiley: 

I've been out of the loop for awhile also. With life's commitments on two continents and the poor weather this year I seem to have lost my inspiration, but not my interest in the hobby. Glad your getting your observatory underway, I'm still working on getting our project house finished, and hopefully sooner than later. Just submitted plans for a new garage/workshop, which will double as our warming room next to the outside observing spot.  

I look forward to catching up with you again.  

Is it Hallowean??

Couple of ghosts wondering around here :)

Good to see you back Matt. Hope you make a quick recovery.

Ive gone Solar now. Gave up sitting around in the cold waiting for clouds to clear. Now I sit around in the warm waiting for the clouds to clear.

Mike, hows the rebuild going?

Pat

Hi Pat,

Not a ghost yet lol. The build has been going slow as I have been across the pond for awhile, but its moving along now. Dorothy & I did manage break away and spend an enjoyable afternoon at our recent South Wales Star Party, and that's been our only social engagement so far this year; the best one for sure ! 

• 8 months later...

Hi guys, I too am still around . My interest in the hobby will never deminish but ive become lazy and must snap out of it. Saturday nights were always something i looked forward too up in blaenavon but when we started going for fridays it wasnt as convenient for me so that did have a factor in me not making it to meets but it would be good to catch up with the gang soon.

Hi Peter,

Glad you're still around. :smiley: I'm still keeping the faith that we'll have a better season this year with many clear dark nights ahead. After a lot of thought, I've come to the conclusion that the only worthy strategy for posting future observing sessions is for short notice meets when conditions look promising; scheduling weeks ahead is pointless with the weather being so unpredictable. The Friday or Saturday night observing meets always seemed the most practical, as those working daily through the week would find it difficult to attend on other nights. Hopefully the skies will cooperate on more Saturday nights for you and us all. Look forward to catching up with you and Daniel again. 

• 2 weeks later...

HI all, Just found this thread whilst mooching around the site.  Im new to all this, had a scope many years ago, then life stepped in and it got left behind.  I live in Caerphilly, and have a Skywatcher 150P on an EQ5 pro.  Had them a few months, but not had the weather to get out to use them at all.  I tried going to the Cardiff AS meeting, but found it a bit dry.  Barry AS was better, but a bit far for now. Is there anything going on around the area that is a little less formal?  I could really do with some practical help and advice on pretty much everything from polar alignment to using a goto.  I know what I need to do, just never got the chance to put it into practice yet! 

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Morddraig,

Welcome to SGL and SW Group. If your looking for informal you have come to the right place. The group don't as a rule have formal meetings sitting in a pub etc etc, but do 

weather and Moon permitting have meeting during the dark season at Blaenavon.The next meet should be in a about 2 weeks. Keep an eye out for Mikes postings for Observing meets. These are usual arranged around the New moon period. There is also the annual Star Party week which I belive is being arranged at this moment. See here 

The 150 and EQ5Pro is a good set that you have there. If you are just doing observing and not Astrophotography, then just pointing the mount North should be good enough for GOTO.

Pat

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the late reply to your comment.  I was hoping to go to the star party, but again, the life of a foster carer is pretty unpredictable sometimes, so never got to even book it. Having had lots of conversations with the misses, it seems she agrees that I should really have a hobby outside the house (though I suspect she thinks Im going to take up hanging washing as my new hobby), so Im going to keep an eye on things in an effort to get to some of the meets. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had a great evening with my nephews in Newquay in Cardigan last week- sky was crystal clear, no moon - was really special even with my limited knowledge and bins only showing the boys about some of the showstoppers for a brief hour or so. Suprizing what you forget though so looking forward to getting back this year - Meziers reset for 2018 :0) 

Archived