Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Buckets of Dew

Phil4130

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I opened the Obs. roof at 9:00 pm, and sent my Meade LX90 12" SCT through it's alignment routine, with Arcturus and Vega as the two easy alignment stars. I set the handxox to the Solar System and chose Jupiter, and slewed the scope in quiet mode to the planet, which was low down in the East, and hidden behind some trees. I just left it tracking and went indoors to watch some TV with the Mrs. Watched a recorded episode of Mrs Brown's Boys too.

Had a coffee and a cheese roll, then went out to see how things were progressing. Looking into the eyepiece, Jupiter was in the there, but trying to focus didn't improve a very poor view of it.

Investigation followed, and it was soon apparent the scope was dripping in dew. The corrector plate was soaked, the OTA and mount were drenched too. I've never experienced dew as bad as it was last night. I used a dryer to remove the wet from the plate, and a towel to dry off the mount and OTA. Replaced the tube cover, put a sheet over the whole unit, closed the roof, locked it up, closed the obs. door, locked it, and went back into the house.

I hope tonight is better, but I will put dew bands in place, as I should have last night.

Ron.

Yes every thing was dripping last night but the dew heaters were on full blast and so managed to image virtually all night. I haven't in the last year since having my SkyShed POD had the walls running wet. By the time I got up this morning (11 ish, didn't go to bed until 5.45am) all was dry with the help of a dehumidifier.

Dave

Build an observatory? :p

Makes little difference - Like others my scope was dripping wet by 11:30pm last night and that was inside the ROR obsy !

I'm guessing we're in for much of the same tonight - it feels quite humid at the moment (weather station showing 68% and rising ;) )

Makes little difference - Like others my scope was dripping wet by 11:30pm last night and that was inside the ROR obsy !

I'm guessing we're in for much of the same tonight - it feels quite humid at the moment (weather station showing 68% and rising ;) )

I managed 11.30 - 1.00 without much dew, though I could not see the golf course behind our house due to the low level mist. By 3am when I last looked out it was like thick fog.

Seems we have several weather zones in & around Stevenage :p

Before I took up a telescope, I was never really one to think very much about the weather. If it's cold, put on a jumper. If its raining take a brolly. Easy. Why bother with all this reading forcasts, checking the met office, etc.

These days I'm *obsessed* with the weather!

I drove to a dark site last night , and the contents of my eyepiece case were dripping aswell as my scope and finder . I gave up in the end . Has anyone got any techniques of their own to combat this??

The contents? I'd get a new case to be fair (or close the lid if you hadn't ...)

I'm off to make those DIY dew shields I've been putting off. Scope is cooling :p

:hello2:The clear skies have finally reached the Isle of Man! Just put the 12"out in the back garden to get acclimatised and working out an obs plan forthe night. Dew will be a massive problem, but hopefully only on the tube and the Telrad screen, which if I remember to keep covered when not being used should be OK. Weather forecast is for cloud shortly after midnght so need to make the most of the clear skies. Hopefully Chelsea will win the match early so that I can concenrate on observing after half time:D

Try living here on the E coast. Last few days have been nice during the day but cloudy then mist (fret) at night. Last night however woke up at 3am and it was superb, and has remained so during the day. Scopes out cooling down. However humidity is very high.

Archived