Narrowband

Sara's observatory in Spain

swag72

Nice looking obsy- hope thermals don't prove too much of an problem for you. That thick concrete slab (5-6" thick by the look?) which the whole thing sits on will probably retain (and release slowly) a lot of heat. I'd be tempted to paint the slab with heat reflecting paint if it proves to be an issue?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had wondered about that so I'm thinking in a couple of ways.

1) Use some thick rubberised tiles I have seen that looks as though they are used for childrens playgrounds. That would help counter the vibrations as well as the heat.

2) If I get a pretty well insulated roof, how much heat will be absorbed by the concrete during the day anyway? I can open the roof early in the evening and usually don't start doing anything too productive for a while after starting as I faff around!!

@Ken - Makes sense that, so I can use it anyway I like!!

The local Brico h'ware store has them...used in garages, workshops etc. There may be something similar on ebay?

EDIT:

There you go:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1311&_nkw=interlocking+foam+mats&_sacat=See-All-Categories

EDIT#2

These are the ones I used - with the detachable edges...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6pk-24-SQ-FT-Interlocking-Soft-Foam-Kids-Play-Mats-NEW-/260826297866?pt=UK_Baby_Baby_Safety_ET&hash=item3cba75760a

The local Brico h'ware store has them...used in garages, workshops etc. There may be something similar on ebay?

EDIT:

There you go:

interlocking foam mats | eBay

EDIT#2

These are the ones I used - with the detachable edges...

6pk 24 SQ FT Interlocking Soft Foam Kids Play Mats NEW | eBay

Thanks for those links... Orderd Thursday, deliverd Friday, layed an hour later...sorted!!

Nothing too exciting today and no pictures but ....

1) The electrics are now connected and the sockets are in.

2) The pier has been fixed to the floor and Polaris is bobbing about in the Polar scope.

3) The mount has been levelled via the adaptor plate

4) An earth cable has been connected to the floor bolts and fed in through the electric system

Slowly getting there!! The roof is taking a little planning, hope that will be ready for the building stage in a couple of weeks.

Picture of the pier all bolted down and my new 2 scope setup!

My Skywatcher Evostar 120 ED and new Equinox 66 APO - I can see that balancing is going to be a real issue - There'll be a thread about that nearer the time!!

post-18339-133877671175_thumb.jpg

Inside is looking good if I do say so myself!

1) Work surface has been cut and fitted in the small roofed area.

2) Cork board on the wall for bits and bobs.

3) 3 drawer plastic unit that fits nicely under the work surface and is great for storage.

4) Flooring purchased (interlocking mats) but these will wait until the roof has been completed.

Roofing plans will be drawn up on Tuesday and it cah start in earnest.

I've had a couple of evenings up there, and I have to say, it's small, but brilliant!!

Cheers Tony - I am quite pleased with my little under roof area.

Now to sort out cabling and other bits. Out to buy some sticky velcro so that my mains lead for the mount can be velcroed on the pier, also the powered hub, but I am just waiting on a 3m USB cable so that it can stretch from the pier, under the matting and back up to the PC on the worktop.

Well, there's been a bit of a turn around on the roof. We had planned the roof and went to the metal fabricators today to submit the plans for build. Unfortunately, the problems were considerable regarding welding various metals together. So, now we have some aluminium fabricators coming out on Monday / Tuesday morning, to see the build and sort out the roof. Sliding roofs are one of their specialities.

So, look forward to that. The roof will be made of 52mm sandwich material, so will offer excellent insulation against the heat. Also, the other good thing is that the whole thing will be nicely water tight.

• 3 weeks later...

Well. everything came to a halt while I waited for the quote from the aluminium people. Have to say that the mobile roof idea was fantastic. When the guy came out to measure up, I did notice his new Mercedes, Rolex watch and Tommy Hilfigher sunglasses. So then I got the quote .................................

...................... 2500 euros plus 18% IVA (VAT) plus installation.

So, now I know why he drives a nice car!

Back to the original plan then. We have been to our local metal fabricators and they are supplying the 'sandwich' roof and they are making the track out of angle iron abd steel and also the frame for the roof support. Castors are sorted and so are a whole host of screws, wood and assorted stuff.

Once it starts being built I'll take the pica and let you see how it goes. Then I can put the flooring down to.

With a 200 euro MIG welder from Machine Mart I'm about to build Obsy number 4. It will have a 2.5 metre span rolling roof that rolls back over the warm room.

I expect the rolling roof part to cost less than 250 Euros. I am a lousy welder, hate DIY and am bad at it, but nothing has fallen apart snce I set up shop 7 years ago...

Ditch the Rollex guy.

Olly

Archived