Narrowband

Samsung SCB-4000 Correct Set Up?

KE400

Hi folks

Can someone please explain or indeed show a pic of their set up please using this cam. I had an attempt at getting mine working last week and had a real burnt out white outline of Jupiter and a moon but then the clouds came in and couldn't get it set up properly. I had the cam connected directly to my LCD TV.

I have removed the IR filter and also taken off the focuser attachment lens which came with it, (I can't for the life of me remember why I have done this removeal of the lens focusr and indeed if I need to re-attach it??) I have a C type adapter attached to the cam which I then put straight into my 1.25" diagnol on the scope.

I'm just wondering if this is the correct set up with this type of cam or if I'm doing something completely wrong.

Advice & help needed please

Hi Kevin

C-type to 1/25" adapter to diagonal is OK, you do not need the lens that came with the camera - however I would recommend removing the diagonal and fitting the camera directly to the visual back of the scope with the c-type to 1/25" adapter - one less optical element in the path.

For Jupiter you will need to set the AGC to LOW or off and set the exposure to manual - try 1/1000 of a second shutter speed (AGC low) - you will not get moons and detail on Jupiter with the same exposure. Focus on a star first - you will need a longer exposure say x4 or x8 for all but the brightest stars.

These cameras are better at longer exposure DSO work - however with your scope you will be limited to smaller DSO's - the camera will have a similar field of view to a 6 or 7mm eye piece.

Hope this helps

Paul

Thanks for the info Paul,

I'm pleased that I wasn't a mile away with my set up. I forgot to mention that I also have a 6.3 focal reducer too which I can add to the set up which will hopefully help with more DSO's once I get used to the whole set up etc.

Thanks again for your help

Removing the IR filter seems to mess up the cameras auto exposure so your better of doing it manually...

I just wonder Why are people removing the IR filters unless they have a reason to do so...?

I use the Cam for IR Pass which can help reduce "turbulence" on lunar and Planetary luminace imaging...

If you don't take care of the UV/IR filtering during "normal" use when you have removed the filter you may end up with a "worse" image especially if your using a refractor or any glass (e.g. reducer) in the optical train...

The two filters I tend to use onthe filter removed cam are a Baader Neodymium with UV/IR Cut (the original didn't have UV/IR cut but the later ones do) for normal use and an Astronomik Pro Planet 742 for IR pass...

Peter...

Hi Kevin.

Join the club.

When I first started using my SBC2000 I did so straight out of the box.

It took some pretty good images of Jupiter and the moon ect.

I then did the IR mod so I could get into DSO's.

Now Jupiter is just a bright white disc with no real detail.

To overcome this I have ordered a Bader IR filter from FLO to screw into the nose piece adapter.

Hopefully this will correct the issue and I can use it for planatary work once again.

So dont worry you are not far off and you are definately not alone with this one.

Graham

Thanks guys,

I have a UV/IR cut filter too which I have attached to the nose of the adapter. I think it's just going to be a craft that will become more easier with time and experience I hope.

I was beginning to doubt my set up after the 1st time out as it was all a bit of a steep learning curve just getting something on screen and then couldn't remember why I'd set up as I had. I've done quite a lot of research into this field but you can't beat experience and exposure to it I guess.

Hopefully I'll be more successful next time out.

Thanks all for your input

No problem regarding questions. The problem is that I'm now back away working for a few weeks and won't be able to give you any answers as to what type of lens it says it is.

I know that it came with the cam so it didn't cost any extra.

You can buy the cam from here

Samsung SCB-4000PH A1 Series 1/2" True Day/Night 600TVL High Resolution Camera 230V AC

Hope that helps

That's why I asked :p I bought mine from the same place. The only lens it came with was the one I selected and purchased seperately. No lens came with the camera.

I'm also asking because I'm genuinely interested in what type of lens it came with - it took me a while to find one that would be useful to me, and it wasn't a Samsung one I went for in the end.

Also, the lens you've shown in your product photo above, isn't suitable for the SCB-4000 - so that puzzles me even more :)

I have bought two bodies a 2000 and a 4000 and had to buy the lenses seperately...

What did you go for to go with the '4000?

I bought the Genie GL1040IR - a 10mm-40mm lens which I figured (rough, in-the-head calculation) would give me a nice wide field-of-view for displaying bigger starfields than thru the 'scope views.

Luckilly, I got it right :)

- I guess your considerations were probably more on the wildlife side of things?

I've probs got the pic of the lens wrong tbh, I was trying to give you an idea of which bit of the cam I was trying to explain. It was the only pic I could find online that looked like the bit I was on about lol.

Sorry to confuse everyone.:)

Archived