Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

BinocularSky

Web site: The Binocular Sky

OK, I'll revert to the black backgrounds until I get around to making it a choosable option.

Thanks for the heads up re the southern objects showing up too far north; must be a bug in the PHP code; I'll sort it "soonish".

Hadn't thought about a Stellarium script (I rarely use it for obs planning, so it hadn't occurred to me); I'll give it some thought.

I really appreciate the feedback; thanks!

Bug in PHP found (a clever little function I'd written was a too clever by half!), so you should no longer have the deep south visible from 51*N (&vv). Thanks for alerting me to that.

Talking about planners, ability to export the current newsletter selection as a simple text file of IDs will useful, to import to AstroPlanner.

On mobile (excuse the strange predictive words...)

Perry, if it's just the DSOs you want, I'll see what I can cobble together for next month's one.

Looks good and I will bookmark it for future use. Homepage could be more interesting ... You did ask for criticism ...sorry. Thanks for all your hard work.

Homepage could be more interesting ... You did ask for criticism ...sorry.
Please don't apologise. But please do tell me the sort of thing you'd like to see there and, if I like the idea and know how to implement it, I'll try to please...

(Edit: typos)

Edited by tetenterre

Perry, if it's just the DSOs you want, I'll see what I can cobble together for next month's one.

Yes, I meant the DSO's.

On mobile (excuse the strange predictive words...)

Double Cluster in Perseus is a wonderful through 15 x 70.

Very good website Steve. Just to add its a very handy website for those of us with widefield low power refractors that generate a binocular matching field of view. Found your locating charts very useful. Many thanks.

Edited by fredster

Thanks for the feedback, Fred. Very glad it's useful outside the "real astronomy" :grin: world of binoculars!

Great site in my favourites bit of holiday reading ...can someone tell me if I am way off target but I think I saw Jupiter last night with 3 moons 2 above and to the left and 1 below and to the right almost in a line at a 45 degree angle to the planet itself which was very bright...location was roughy south west and elevation 50ish degrees above horizon would this be right or have I just hooked onto a random bright body with accompanying stars ? I double checked with my iPad and star walk and whilst not super aureate is was there or there abouts

can someone tell me if I am way off target but I think I saw Jupiter last night with 3 moons 2 above and to the left and 1 below and to the right almost in a line at a 45 degree angle to the planet itself which was very bright...location was roughy south west and elevation 50ish degrees above horizon would this be right
Location is correct, but the Jovian moons close to the satellite were 2 below (Europa and Ganymede) and 1 above (Io). Callisto was also above and to the left, but much further away than Io. What were you observing with? (I ask because some telescope configurations would flip the image to show what you saw.)

Binoculars 25x70 and I may have got the order of moons wrong ...:-( certainly we're 2 Fairly close together and one further out . It was the first time of using so getting used to focus ect ..