Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Web site: The Binocular Sky

BinocularSky

Hi Steve

Congratulation on your new site have put in to my favorites and await in anticipation

on your news letters and Michael list if 15x70 would be fantastic (thanks Michael)

all the best

Doug

Essex UK

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am developing some interactive Sky maps for binocular users. The first one, for latitude 51*N in December (but also useful from October to January) is now online at:

BinocularSky - Sky Map -51°N, December 22:00

Comments, constructive criticism and requests gratefully received.

hey, love the site but just tried hovering over your sky map as it said to and nothing came up same when i tried to click. thought i would let you know ;-)

Thanks for letting me know. What browser are you using? I've just checked it with Firefox, Opera, Seamonkey, Epiphany, Chromium and Chrome -- the first three work; the last 3 don't.

I'll put a note on the page and try to fix it.

It Chrome I am using at the moment.

Problem found: MSIE and the Web-kit based browsers don't implement <object> elements properly; I have reverted to using the older <map> element.

Should now be fixed for Chrome and similar browsers. It's just about OK in MSIE8, but there is still an issue with the way it handles the title attributes.

Can anyone who uses Safari please let me know if it works for you. TIA.

Thank you, KerryAnn23, for alerting me to this bug; I shall try to be more careful in future.

no worries, i just thought it would be better to let you no than for people to visit and then not try again ;-)

Which is exactly why I'm grateful! :)

Nice...In the section on evaluating bins I would add something about dust and mold etc by holding the bins from the objective end and looking inside them the wrong way with light behind the eyepieces...

That page was aimed at evaluating new binoculars, but a section on additional tests for used binoculars is an excellent idea. Thank you! I must scour car boot sales and 2nd hand shops for some cruddy examples that I can photograph.

Looks good Steve.

Clear, concise, nicely laid out. Lots of information and the chart/map section very worthwhile.

Appreciate that you may not have uploaded all data yet, but when I clicked on the 'Object of the Month' it gave me the title of M34, but no maps - did have a handy error saying server error (looks manually typed rather than auto-generated).

Have you considered centering the webpage? A bit like this Egyptology UK - the online home of the Sussex Egyptology Society it stays central for different screen sizes but does an absolute minimum.

Good work, and I know what a labour these things are as I look after the one above!

Jeff

Looks good Steve.

Clear, concise, nicely laid out. Lots of information and the chart/map section very worthwhile.

Thanks, Jeff.

Appreciate that you may not have uploaded all data yet, but when I clicked on the 'Object of the Month' it gave me the title of M34, but no maps - did have a handy error saying server error (looks manually typed rather than auto-generated).

Aaarghh! In order to have a halfway decent object search function, I changed from having the descriptions in individual text files to having the objects in a MySQL database and, to facilitate something I want to do later, I changed the charts directory structure and filenames. Until last weekend, I had "old" and "new" formats running side by side while I was making sure the new one was robust. On Saturday I removed the old stuff ... but I'd forgotten that the "Object of the Month" file used the "old" stuff. It's now fixed. Thanks for alerting me to that.

Have you considered centering the webpage?

Yes; it started out like that, but some of the pages are less than a screen-full and, when you navigate to or from one of them from or to one that has scroll bars, there is a royally irritating "kick" as the web page recentres itself -- a few people had mentioned that they didn't like it, so I changed it.

I might play with the CSS (or I could just write a bit more drivel on the few pages that are less than a screen-full :).)

That Egyptology site looks interesting -- must have a better look when time is less pressing. Years ago, I used to hang out on The Hall of Ma'at, attempting to counter the numerological and pseudo-astronomical nonsense of pyramidiots and the like. Some of the results of that are on my Astrocrud pages (greatly in need of updating).

Perhaps running that link checker software sleuth thing Find broken links on your site with Xenu's Link Sleuth on your site might pick up any boken links..

Thanks but no thanks.

Just tried it (under Linux/WINE). It doesn't seem to like PHP at all and reported an error (unhelpfully called "10060") on every page on the site -- now I know that this just isn't true -- most (if not all) pages now have no broken links. Then the thing refused to stop and refused to close. I had to kill it via the system monitor.

Thanks for all the kind comments, advice and suggestions. I appreciate it. I'm ever mindful that, if it is to be what I want it to be, it has to be something that those who use it find both a pleasant and a useful experience.

A mini update:

• Jeff (Crunchard) has kindly shown me the CSS coding to eliminate the "scroll-bar-jump", so things are now centred. I'm keeping the "wrapper" to 800px because "future plans" involve having a 200px panel down the right.
  • I've added the "Transient Objects" page -- at the moment, it's only got a comet that you can see -- C/2009 P1 (Garradd) -- and one that lots of people think you will see but I think it's unlikely -- P/2006 T1 (Levy).

Archived