SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NORTHERN LIGHTS!!!

msinclairinork

Seeing the best Aurora i've ever seen right now!!

currently on a ship at 61' N, 01'E.

I've seen them dozens of times living in the Orkney Islands, but never like this!

Seeing Red in them for the first time, and strangely seeing an originating point right at my zenith! then shooting down to the Northern and Western Horizons?

Suddenly my job seems a lot better tonight! :p

Chuffed!

Michael

It's not all bad I guess Naz. Tried the ships compact digi but wasn't getting anything. And a long exposure I'd think to be useless as we've got around 4m of swell at the moment.

It's certainly a shame as a wide angle lens right now would still not take it all in!

Always just seen it coming from the Northern horizon before and azimuth of around 30 or so degrees.

But this is something else, coming from my zenith and at least covering 100 degrees! Warping and dancing around nicely too! :p

Michael

seeing an originating point right at my zenith! then shooting down to the Northern and Western Horizons?

Chuffed!

You lucky **..** :p what's the emoticon for green with envy ! Chuffed, yea I can imagine ;)

That sounds like a classic "Corona" aurora, quite spectacular, saw one once here in SW England, most unusual, doubt if it will haopen again for me !

:p yeah chuffed I think is an understatement...I'm buzzing!!

Corona aurora you say - thanks for that. Was a bit mystified to why I was seeing it like that. Really something else though with it warping and twisting around what looked like a single point at my zenith and then those long curtains radiating down.

Lovley to see some decent colour in it for a change too, always just seen it as a few shades of pale blue/green. But a thick, long and distinctive line of magenta mixed in...magical!

Lovley to see some decent colour in it for a change too

That is interesting to me here in the deep south, I was always envious of you northern types, thinking that you had lots of glorious coloured displays.

Aurora is not common down here but I have seen quite a few mostly greenish arcs and curtains, but often ( well, often in this limited context !) have seen pale pink and purple patches.

Kp is increasing again so it may not be over yet, keep watching and reporting :p

cheers,

Malcolm.

Malcolm - That is unusual, perhaps I've never just caught the right conditions before, until tonight of course! I knew the camera would show up those colours fairly easily but seeing it with my own eye is quite something.

Seems to be fading quite a bit now for me, but still got a wide but low greenish curtain hanging about. Heading to bed now though so best of luck to the rest of you if you're staying up.

Cheers,

Michael

but seeing it with my own eye is quite something.
Yep it is, thanks for your reports, most interesting.

I've just been out portable to get a good view to the north but nothing here in N.Somerset.

Milky way plain, lim mag 4.5 at 45deg, but no aurora ! :p

g'night.

Friends back home in Shetland have been posting some mind-blowing shots on Facebook, just taken with ordinary household cameras. I've seen some good displays up there and one stunning show where the whole sky was like a river of swirling colour from east to west - looks like the one they saw tonight was another one for the ages.

First time seeing the aurora for me, took a few moments for it to sink in what I was seeing. Started as four or five fingers of light rising from the northern horizon which faded and moved north east, fading to leave a distinct red glow in the sky. Must have been about 10:15pm and only lasted 10/15 minutes.

A total WOW moment :p

Archived