Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Viewing solar flares with 6" reflector

enigmacell

Hi, I'm new here and to the whole art of astronomy. I have just purchased a second hand Meade LXD N-6 AT and 5 piece range of eyepieces and filters. They are nothing fancy but think they should be enough to get me started.

However I never thought it was possible to look at the sun through a telescope for the obvious reasons until now. I have been reading about some of the different filters to do this and need some advice. I would really love to see more than sun spots - could someone tell me if this is possible with my 6" reflector and if so what size/type filter do I need:confused:?

Thanx:icon_salut:

I hear the Baader filter film is the good stuff. You have to be pretty careful when attaching it etc, since even a pinhole can damage your eyes. Also, i think H-a (hydrogen alpha) filters are used for solar stuff. I don't think there will be a problem with using the 6" reflector, so long as you have the correct filters in place. :p

Hmmm, not really...

The Baader Solar film will give excellent views of the Sun in white light. You'll see the sunspots and some surface graulations but that's about it.

To see the Ha surface, filaments and proms you need a dedicated Ha telescope, something like the Coronado PST or the Lunt's.

HTH

No, physically impossible!

To observe or image in Ha, it needs a series of three sophisticated filter elements to all work together in harmony: An energy rejection filter (ERF), an etalon "tuning" filter and finally a blocking filter. All the Coronado and Lunts have these three filters... Not cheap but 100% safe and 100% effective.

HTH

I'm afraid not, as Merlin66 says you need three essential components for safe success. The Daystar ERF's are just the first of the three. A 38mm Daystar ERF is $250, the rest costs a small fortune. For just under £500 you can get a 40mm PST that is ready to go! :p

That is a great picture. You have me dyin to look at the sun again!

I don't trust myself with the diy type. With my luck it would fall off or something as I was looking through it. If I was to get a glass one from thousand oaks what size would I get? They don't list my model. What would have the same fitting in a newer telescope?

Archived