Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Galaxy seen.

steelfixer

Finally after all the trials and tribulations I have been having with my 'goto' set up last night everything worked perfectly.

I opened the obs roof at about 8.30pm and started by inputting as many stars as I could reconise into the alignment set up.

By 9.30pm I had nine stars logged and synced to enable me to get a 3 star alignment anywhere in my visible sky.

Using my new 5x Antaris barlow lens and a 20mm EP I spent an enjoyable hour just wandering from star to star amazed at the incredible clarity I was now able to see using the new kit.

Whilst waiting for Jupiter to emerge from behind the next door neighbour's chimney I decided to see If I could get a look at a galaxy.

I selected Andromeda on CDC and with great excitement peered through the finder.

To my delight there just off center was a large grey smudge.

I centered the scope and looked through the EP at what I can only discribe as the most amazing thing I have seen to date.

Although still faint I could clearly see the structure and I just sat there in total silence gazing in amazement at this trully spectacular sight for over ten minutes.

I now look forward to seeing even more and trying to capture them on video.

First one down and countless more to go.

Graham.

hmm , good to see you have it all working and guiding from your goto now , but i take it you were using the x5 barlow with the 20mm ep :p i think that is why you have a large smudge ! i think with a 200mm scope about the most power you could use on a planet would be around the 7-10mm mark, a 20mm with a x5 barlow is ....... massive magnification !!!! (someone help me here ... a .836mm ep ??? ) , on glaxies med - high power looks best ,around 12 - 32 mm with no barlow .

The smudge was through the finder scope.

Through the EP it was clear, still faint but totally clear.

I had the barlow in not only to test it but to do some ccd image work on jupiter. I just could not resist leaving it in with the EP.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I make it 300 times magnifacation.

Focal length 1200mm divided by EP 20mm = 60 times mag times 5 for the barlow gives a total of 300 times mag.

I believe that is still well under the scopes limit, but like I said I could well be wrong.

Now that I have finally found it with the clouds permission I will have another look tonight without the barlow.

I will tell you this the double of Mitzer and its mate looked incredible.

Thanks

Graham

usually the rule of thumb is the lens size x mag ..in your case that would be x200 ,but you will find out what works best for you , the most mag i put on jupiter through my 10" F4 meade is x101 and i stay at a fairly dark site . :p for andromeda i use a 26mm= x 36 mag:icon_salut:

Belting pic, Graham! Pretty much tallies with what I've seen of Jupiter these past few nights. Checked out M31 myself a couple of hours ago, I recently bought a 40mm Vixen NPL eyepiece to try and get as much of the galaxy as possible into the field at 30x. Still nowhere near all of it, but the view's great nonetheless - it was my first galaxy too, and I'm sure we're in good company!

Hi Hemi.

yes that is with the SPC900.

I am just waiting on FLO to deliver a new adapter and ir filter for the samsung then I can rearly see what this will be caperble off.

thanks

Graham

exellent stuff , i also have a samsung , but i cant get enough back focus on my scope to focus , so i ethier going to machine down the extension on the focus tube or buy new focuser , :p

Archived