Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi All ...Advice sought

Herakles

Hi all

Just joined up , spent many a night with a sore neck , lol , with a mate of mine..he's the one who convinced me to get a 'scope. Always had tinkered with the idea . This is the only forum I have joined so far , it impressed me hugely .

Primarily interested in DSO , tho' Planetary stuff does appeal as well. My thinking veers more to DSO , well because they are there all the time I suppose . Have been looking at a Dob' ( Skyliner 250PX ) but there in lies my dilema , I own a Canon EOS Digital SLR and would , of course like to use it . I know the 'scope mentioned does take a Direct SLR fitting . Would I require a motor driven unit ( earth moves , so assuming I would ) . Maybe better to say that I am looking at spending £600 max ( lol, at the moment ). Any other combo of 'scope / mount that I could consider ?

So any and all advice would be greatly appriciated.

Regards

Herakles

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum..

I would have to go with CC ...

The 8" on a HEQ5...Upgradable to Pro (GOTO). Would be my weapon of choice if I were in your shoes and your Canon will give you excellent astro results.

Have a look here for the different reviews on scopes and equipment, thourghly tested by members...

http://stargazerslounge.co.uk/index.php?board=32.0

Greg

Welcome Herakles :D

Yep 8" Newt on the HEQ5 would be good.

Without wanting to put any retailers nose out, there is a HEQ5 up for sale by one member, and the 8" newt by another. You could save a bob or 100!! :D

Welcome aboard Herakles :D

I like your idea of the Skyliner 250PX. For deep-sky 'aperture is King' and you can always add some tube-rings and put it on a GEQ mount for imaging later - though it'd have to be something big, like the EQ6, and the two combined will take you over budget.

There is also the the new 12" Skyliner 300P.

If you are looking for a set-up for both imaging and observing, then I agree with the others - at its price the Skywatcher Explorer 200 HEQ5 is the best all-round set-up.

I second all that. I'm not on commission from Skywatcher, but it would be hard to get better value anywhere.

The 8 inch is big enough to see stuff and on an HEQ5 mount will be heavy, but not impossible to manage.

The only slight drawback is that if you wish to image the planets you will need an Imagemate/Powermate or similar to increase the effective focal length. On the other hand, the planets aren't around all the time so that is a minor issue. It will still be a great all round scope.

Geoff

Talk about fast responce's !!!! Absolutely Stellar guys . Thank you .

Ok , say I go with the 8" + HEQ5 mount , which I gotta admit makes perfect sense , I got £70 left , could get the 4x Imagemate , would that be able to be used with the SLR ? Leave's a tenner for a beer pack and thermal gloves :D , lol. Once again thank you guys for the advice. Reckon I gonna enjoy it here . Kudos

Welcome to SGL Herakles. See how quickly they spend your money for you here.

I hope you have not got a credit card ,if you have , cut it up or they will have you in the workhouse in no time flat.

By the way, forget the thermal gloves, summers coming and the money could be better spent in other areas. :D

Ron. :D

By the way, forget the thermal gloves, summers coming and the money could be better spent in other areas. :D

Ron. :p

Aha !!! Well I'm in Central Scotland , which means we have nine months of winter , quickly followed by ....three months of rain :D

Guess I'll just have to have more porridge then !

Herakles

Ron. :D

Aha !!! Well I'm in Central Scotland , which means we have nine months of winter , quickly followed by ....three months of rain :D

Guess I'll just have to have more porridge then !

Herakles

:p :p :lol:

Hi Herakles

Welcome, I'm a newbie here as well and honestly you won't meet a friendlier bunch on the net. They happily spent my hard earned on a SW200 and an HEQ5. Best purchase ever in my opinion. Get it from Steve at FLO, he is the man.

Cheers

Jonathen

Hi Herakles

Welcome, I'm a newbie here as well and honestly you won't meet a friendlier bunch on the net. They happily spent my hard earned on a SW200 and an HEQ5. Best purchase ever in my opinion. Get it from Steve at FLO, he is the man.

Cheers

Jonathen

Yup , gotta agree.

I left a message at FLO this afternoon. awaiting a call back to discuss.

Herakles

Hi Herakles

Welcome to SGL. Whereabouts in Central Scotland are you? There's a few of us on here from the central belt. I'm just outside Glasgow - not brilliant skies, what with the rain :D clouds :D and light pollution :p At least there are lots of dark sky sites not too far away.

Good luck with your proposed set up.

Martin

Archived