Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Taliesin

EQ5 with dual axis motor (Non-GOTO)

Hi All, I know people are really busy but I am hoping someone can put me out of my misery.

I have the above which basically is the EQ5 with dual axis motors and the basic -RA +RA -DEC +DEC controller (with x8, x4 and x2)

I want to control this mount via ASCOM and the various software available.

I have bought a CP2102 USB to UART (TTL) board which has 6 pins on one side and a USB port on the other

My question is that if I connect 5 pins (one pin of the 6 is 3V and one is 5V so only 5 pins would be used in total including the 5V above (not the 3V)) to each of the directions on the hand controller skipping the whole ST-4 (RJ12) modification, will this allow me to control the mount via ASCOM - I'm not going to use a serial port or adapter as the CP2102 is direct USB. What I am getting confused about is that there is no instructions regarding this method of connection. Serial connections require the voltage converting MAX232 chip but does anyone know or has anyone tried connecting by this method with any success.

I know there are devices such as the GPUSB and the ready made EQDIRECT devices but I want to know if this method will work without investing in one of these devices.

Any help will be much appreciated

I don't think the motors in the stock EQ5 are suitable for EQMod operations - check out the website.....

To get GOTO capabilities you'll probably have to upgrade to Syntrek/ Synscan motors/ motherboad.

Sorry.....

Merlin is right - the "ordinary" RA and Dec motors are not useable. You can upgrade to the full syntrek and then something like EQMOD/ASCOM will work fine. For that you can make your own adapters or buy ready made.

I would add that the mount upgrade is quite expensive and if you are proposing to "go further" eg photography, you may well be better off saving your pennies a little longer and getting the HEQ5 Synscan mount which is "EQMOD ready" and the minimum you can use for serious astrophoto's. Your EQ5, in its current motorised form, would make an exellent second mount either as a "grab and go" or simply to allow visual observing while an imaging run is taking up the main mount. I also find that I use mine for "tree dodging" around the garden on ocasions when I really do need to see through a 50' silver birch!

There is currently a shortage of Synscan upgrades, according to some dealers.

Good luck getting one. I would hold off in case they are updating the SynScan (hopefully with USB or Ethernet lol).

Edited by Smeg

Thank for your reply All...I came across this where the guy has added an ST4 port on the EQ5 which made me think it is possible. I guess not :p

Edited by Taliesin

Adding GUIDE capablities is a different ball game to getting computer control and GOTO.

Yes, you can modify the handset to give control for improved guiding.

HTH