SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The oooh Factor

Hi All,

Just popped in to write a brief account of my first viewing of the Beehive Cluster. Since I first got my scope 2 years ago, I've been mostly aiming it at Planets and the Moon. I had an awful location to view from up until last weekend, as I was totally exposed to passers-by, and felt a little conspicuous stood there with my 5 inch refractor...

So tonight, after a good long view of Saturn (resolved the Cassini division, and managed to see some belts on the planets surface) I thought, I know, I'll have a crack at finding the beehive cluster.

Well I just started peering through the EP, and gently pushing the scope along (I need a finder scope!) and was sat there thinking, 'Is that it? No can't be, maybe thats it...' Then, out of the inky black sky... I said 'Oooh' out loud 'Thats it!' Totally unmistakable.

So, I've now got about a billion other things to aim my scope at. Am I chuffed? I should coco!

Hi Spud

For me, the beehive looks best in my finderscope or binoculars due to it's sheer size and the fact that my scope it 1000mm focal length. It does stand out tho doesn't it. A finderscope would be a useful investment I say. I'd be lost without mine

Matt

• 1 month later...

as I was totally exposed to passers-by, and felt a little conspicuous stood there with my 5 inch refractor...

:lol:I know how you felt. To see Jupiter I have to go out about 50meters from my house. Actually I am just 10meters near the big roundabout and Jupiter is just above houses that are opposite. Wednesday night group of teenagers stopped when they sow me and one of them shouted if I was watching neighbours shagging. So you can imagine.:police:

Archived