Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Auto guiding an alt az mount?

I was wondering, is it worth trying to auto guide an alt az mount?

I have a CPC 925 GPS which I am generally very happy with. But when imaging the planets the image drifts off the chip after a while no matter how carefully I have leveled the tripod. I am not wanting to do long exposures, but I was wondering if it is worth trying an auto guider in alt az mode with a view to keeping the planet or lunar feature on the chip for longer to avoid having to "chase" the target with the handset. Indeed, will an auto guider work on an alt az mount (the CPC series have the necessary connection) or is t only possible in eq mode and would it be a waste of money?

Brinders

I never got it to work in alt/az with the CPC800 and PHDGuide... but I did get it to work in EQ using even a crude plywood wedge somewhere close to the right angle...

It might be worth keeping an eye on this ...

Dave’s Solar System Recorder (DSSR) The Window Sill Observatory

Lot of those features are a lunar/planetary/solar imagers dream...

Peter...

I have successfully Autoguided various Meade Lx scopes in Alt-Az.

The issue comes down to residual field rotation around the guide star...

I was using an on-axis beamsplitter to hold a target star basically in mid FOV on a spectroscope slit. It would "lock on" to the star and guide indefinately, but the rest of the FOV rotates around this point - so of limited value to DSO imaging.

HTH

I looked into this a while back and was told by Celestron that the CPC would not take guide commands whilst in alt/az guide mode. I however have no problem keeping any planets on my DBK21 chip even with a 2x barlow for 3 mins or so. Do you have your tracking at the correct speed or maybe your clutches may be slipping as your CPC does not sound like it is tracking in alt/az as well as mine does.

• 3 years later...

I can't get PHD to connect to my NexStar Alt/Az mount. I get an error message stating that my mount doesn't support the Pulse Guide interface. Not sure if a shoestring box would fix this or not. 

Archived