SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which KAF 8300 camera?

Cordulegaster

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone got any views on the QHY9 which also uses the same chip?. I currently use a QHY8 pro and am very impressed with the set point cooling. If it is as good on the QHY9 then might it be a rival to the others especially as it costs considerably less?

Glyn, I've just bought the Atik 383L+ with an SX usb filter wheel. Whilst the Artemis software is great capture software it will not control other makes of filter wheel so you need to get the Atik FW.

Got round the problem eventually by buying Nebulosity 2 and installing the ascom drivers from SX.

Went for the SX usb FW because it allows the use of 36mm filters and offered a 7 position wheel - good for both LRGB & Ha, OIII, SII filters.

It's a toss-up between the cheaper FW/filter/software combination or the more expensive FW/filters from Atik, to go with the 383L+.

Love the Atik 383L+, would love the Atik software if it just offered a little more flexibility

SBIG...

So, I bit the bullet and ordered an ST8300M and a Starlight Express 2" filter wheel with LRGB, Ha and O3 filters, all from Ian King.

I expect delivery Thursday or Friday and the weather report looks good!

What made me choose the SBIG before the Atik?

1) SBIG has a good track record with shutters

2) Drivers and Nebulosity

Price is about the same, and I do have a hunch that maybe the logic design inside the SBIG is a bit better than the Atik - but that's really just that; a hunch.

Really looking forward to this! Will report back.

/per

Has anyone got any views on the QHY9 which also uses the same chip?. I currently use a QHY8 pro and am very impressed with the set point cooling. If it is as good on the QHY9 then might it be a rival to the others especially as it costs considerably less?

I use the QHY9 colour and the mono version, the peltier on the mono has just died on me after less than a year so is back in for repair, the colour is working fine. having said that, both ccd's are good value for money in my opinion, but, not having used any other ccd,s I couldnt judge them.

No, I opted for the 2" filters in order to be able to use them on the next camera, should there be one. The 36mm ones are kind of special and not all filters are available in that size (I am told).

So, I followed Ian Kings suggestion, simple as that...

:)

/p

Glyn - will update when I get better weather! At present I've only managed 1 exposure since downloading Nebulosity 2 and linking it with PHD before cloud stopped play. The star images with the Ha 7Nm filter were really tight so that's looking good. Sub frame was 15 mins so I think I can extend subs to 20 mins without too much trouble (he says hopefully!).

Just printed of the neb manual and looking at writing some scripts to control the camera and filter wheel...

I hoping that once I can establish a balance with the filter exposures I can use a standard script or a set of standard scripts.

Archived