Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

which dob?

The 200 collects a fair bit more light, 77% more

Also a fair bit bigger and so heavier, however 8" isn't exactly huge.

If you specifically want a smaller one for ease of getting it around then the 150, would suggest the PL over the P as collimation is less critical. If however you expect to want just one for some time (years) then the 200.

The 200 collects a fair bit more light, 77% more

Also a fair bit bigger and so heavier, however 8" isn't exactly huge.

If you specifically want a smaller one for ease of getting it around then the 150, would suggest the PL over the P as collimation is less critical. If however you expect to want just one for some time (years) then the 200.

Cost and weight is not an issue,so you think the 200 would suffice for longer?Thanks:)

I can't speak from experience, only from what knowledge i've picked up by studying this site and many other guides.

The 200 is clearly the better option in your case, it collects more light which means brighter images and higher magnifications.

That said, it does slightly depend on what you intend to view, but an 8" reflector is a pretty good all-rounder.

50mm lol,and more light gathering,if it ap fever you have do what i did go for the 300p straight of i was gonna get the 200p goto but opted for the 300p on dob mount i am glad i did i love it i even gave it a name MO1 check my picks on here .

but go for the 200p if that's the one you want (still get the 300p it will not let you down for deep space if you have got a dark site if not its still a cracker but they big girls

Thanks guys.Its the 200p then!I do want it to be a good all-rounder and for it to last me a good while.Do they need much maintainance?

Good choice, as I said you cannot go wrong either way.

By maintenance I guess you mean collimating?

They normally come collimated from the factory but best to check it before use. After initial set up an 8" should remain collimated for some time as long as the tube isn't banged about too much.

Smaller mirrors being lighter do not tend to move out of collimation as often as the larger ones.

Regards Steve

I would say the best dob, is the largest one you can easily carry, setup and use without help or breaking your back. :glasses2:

Every 2 extra inches allow you to see more detail in objects, or to detect objects otherwise undetectable.

I'm still sorry I didn't get a 10 or 12" scope instead of my 8".

Still torn betwen an 8" and 10" dob - will my 1.25 Revelation eyepiece set be ok with the 10" ?

The Revelation set will work fine. You may see some "seagull" shaped stars in the outer portions of the field of view but the central areas should be quite sharp and contrasty.

Archived